9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 11, 2016 2:14 PM by Charley Saint

Solidworks PDM (EPDM)functionality questions

Ethan Kay

So I am working on setting up the new SolidWorks PDM Standard software and the help files and admin guide don't seem to be much help for an admin.  I've implimented PDM Works and SmarTeam so I'm trying to understand what SW-PDM can do or not that i have done in one or both of the other programs.  Here's a list of questions:

1) Can you set a user or group to only be able to see the last version in a specific state?  Purchasing can only ever see the latest version of a file that is in the "Released" state.

2) How do you set a variable to populate the Custom tab vs. configuration specific properties tab? In PDM Workgroup and Smarteam this was just a check-box, I don't even see how to set it in EPDM.

3) Seriously, you can't auto generate a number without paying 15k for PDM Pro?

4) Can you require multiple users to approve at a state before it moves through a transaction?

5) Can you overlay rules so a user has to be in two different groups to have permissions for moving a file?

There will be more but I haven't found them yet.

• Re: Solidworks PDM (EPDM)functionality questions
          Charley Saint

Here goes...

1) Can you set a user or group to only be able to see the last version in a specific state?  Purchasing can only ever see the latest version of a file that is in the "Released" state.

Yes, it requires using the user setting "Only work with latest versions" and giving purchasing only read rights to the released state.

2) How do you set a variable to populate the Custom tab vs. configuration specific properties tab? In PDM Workgroup and Smarteam this was just a check-box, I don't even see how to set it in EPDM.

It's the @ tab on the datacard. It takes a bit of training to convince users that they should fill it in instead of the default/config tab. It helps to turn off the option in explorer under display->options->set focus to active configuration

3) Seriously, you can't auto generate a number without paying 15k for PDM Pro?

Looks like it...

4) Can you require multiple users to approve at a state before it moves through a transaction?

That's a parallel state transition, it's in pro and I don't see anything that says it's not in standard

5) Can you overlay rules so a user has to be in two different groups to have permissions for moving a file?

Sort of, you can split state and folder perms into 2 different groups and both have move permissions that you have to have to move a file.

Arto Kvick

In addition to Charleys response:

2) How do you set a variable to populate the Custom tab vs. configuration specific properties tab?

In Data Card editor, you have a option per field "Updates all configurations" which controls if the value is configuration specific or not...

Ethan Kay

Unfortunately that doesn't update the "Custom" Tab, it just populates the same value for all configurations. 

My problem is I want to use all the functionality available in the base software so I don't want anything on the "configuration specific" tabs unless it is in fact configuration specific.  I often have at least a few configurations for parts for FEA & CFD, and if it is a weldment, sheet metal, or casting those will have configurations as well. This is just inviting something to screw up and not show the correct values somewhere because it is supposed to populate across 5 tabs to show 1 value.

Michael Dekoning

Unless something has changed in 2016 (and I don't think it has) checking "Updates all configurations" will put the same value in all of the tabs including the "@" tab. Be aware that this only works if the user inputs the value using the card. Values read from SOLIDWORKS properties are controlled by the custom or configuration specific property pages.

Ethan Kay

That's what I was afraid of.  SW-PDM is removing functionality from SolidWorks, you can't choose to not show configurations tabs so if you always want to the "Custom" tab populated and sometimes use the built in functionality of being able to use a configuration to modify the standard file text you need to train every user with permissions to update a file card "Just ignore the blanks on all the configuration cards."

Arto Kvick

You can always opt out to not use the EPDM data card (maybe just use EPDM card to get the EPDM number etc.) and use 3rd party Custom Properties editor OR the SolidWorks Property tab (property builder)....

Ethan Kay

Arto,

The point of my comment is that SolidWorks PDM is impeding SolidWorks CAD functionality. I want to be able to populate properties on the drawing through the workflow, additionally the use of the SW property tab is directly opposed to the use of the Datacard.  The selections in property tab builder are: "Show on Custom tab" or "Show on configuration specific tab".  I use it exactly like I described, I show everything that is universal to the entire model on the custom tab.  Then in PDM the only option is to modify every configuration or leave information blank on configuration cards, but if someone fills something in here it could mess up the drawings.

I created an idea submission to be able to hide the configuration tabs and only show the @ tab.  but what would be really helpful is to actually be able to define different tabs for Custom (@) and the configuration spacific.

Charley Saint

Hey Ethan,

You can do that, but it's a pain to setup. You have to create a variable and put it on the card and set the default value to something (config_tab) and exclude the @ tab

Then setup a tab control with 2 tabs, the first for @ and another another for the configs (order is important) and name the second one the value from that variable (config_tab) then set each tab up. That will only work for new files. You'd need dispatch to correct existing files, but since that's not in standard you'll have to manually set them.

Craig Schultz

You could also treat the default (or whatever you call it) configuration as the @ tab....  Under "Display --> Options --> Hide @ Configuration".  You aren't forced to use or see it.

Whatever you want to drive across all use "update all configurations" and leave the other fields alone.  This treats the fields that populate across all configurations as a "custom tab" field.