7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2016 8:59 AM by Ethan Kay

what is pdm

Wayne Zeak

what is the function of pdm?

• Re: what is pdm
          Chris Saller

File management for CAD files. For 3D models that are referenced in assy's and drawings, it helps to keep the references together.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=WHAT+IS+PDM

Wayne Zeak

thank you, i've looked at the sw video of the product. very informative, i think my company should be using this product. we have hundreds of folders with all different products and there is no management of any of them. i could, if i wanted to, cause havoc to these files. or more to the point, i have trouble finding documents because they can be and are saved in multiple locations depending on who worked on it last.

Ed Cyganik

...to manage data for products.

Ethan Kay

HI Wayne,

I've driven PDM/PLM implementation at every company I have worked for.  PDM is product data management is and generally file storage and revision control with maybe some additional features.  PLM is Product life-cycle management which is generally more in-depth and the tools tend to cross over to some of the ERP (Enterprise resource planning) solutions. 

There are a lot of different packages out there from computer based installs, server installs, and off site Cloud solutions.  If you have SW professional or premium licenses you can install SolidWork PDM for free which is a stripped down version of what was called EPDM until this year when the name changed to SolidWorks PDM Professional.   Since it's included and integrated with SW it's a good first step system although quite limited as well the nice thing is that since it is sitting on a sql database, which from my experience you don't want to invest in anything that has a proprietary "database" solution in the background.