9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2016 11:44 AM by John Stoltzfus

How do I link to the Component Name for Drawing Text?

Danny Bradford

Greetings,

How do I select the Component Name for Drawing Text:

Drawing text:

• Re: How do I link to the Component Name for Drawing Text?
          Sarah Dwight

Isn't the component name equal to the file name? Or did you override the file name?

Or perhaps you are creating the assembly/parts top-down?? Maybe it doesn't work the same that way?

John Stoltzfus

Do you use Custom Property Tab Builder??

Ethan Kay

This is another area SW has something that is almost useful but not quite. Generally this is field is locked to the file name as Sarah's post showed but since the setting it is referring to is a system setting not a document setting once you un-check it for whatever reason you need to go back and recheck it later to restore out of the box functionality. With the box unchecked you can name a part in the tree differently from what the file name or description are. so if you have six instances of the same part, same configuration, you can still assign unique names, and if you replace the part file the name does not change.

The problem with the link property settings you are looking at is that it is a component setting at the assembly level so it's not a property of the component as you found, it is also not a property of the assembly since those are referring to the whole assembly.

Long story short, if you want a note that doesn't change you need to use static text rather than a linked property.

Danny Bradford

Agreed on it stored at the assembly level. This is also true for Component Reference and it is available within the drawing. This tells me it is possible if Solidworks would just open up the list of instance specific information managed.

I am currently storing 6 pieces of information all crammed in the Component Reference attribute. This works but there is must overhead in getting it in and then getting it back out utilzing xml translations.

I will mark yours as the answer, but unfortunately we are short of the solution on this.

John Stoltzfus

What I'm understanding is you have one part that is similar to 5 or more other parts, if I'm understanding this correctly.  Not sure if this would work for you or not, but what I have done in the past is set up the part with 5 configurations and use the configuration name as your part number that gets pulled in the BOM and you could link the note to that same configuration name using a custom property. 

Using the Custom Property Tab Builder you could assign your own field or custom property that you pull from as well.

Ethan Kay

John,

The issue is that you don't want to have to update the part/model file every time you use it in an assembly.   Doing machine design I can easily see having the ability to rename components in the assembly try as a big benefit. 

In my current project I have 5 of the same motors in an assembly I would like to be able to label them with a function name, and display that property in a chart along with a device designation.  On the electrical schematics they are referred to as MOT001, with a description of "Bypass Valve control motor"  In addition to the manufacturers part number.  The same motor is being used 5 places in my assembly and I know of 2 other assemblies with 3 instances and 2 instances so we would need to maintain 10 configurations just for 1 part.

Danny,

I did a search for ERs and came across 1-10060568442 with assigned SPR#548362 which covers this issue.  I suggest if you didn't create the ER that you go to the customer portal and vote for it.

Best Regards,

Ethan

John Stoltzfus

Great example - and hopefully the SPR comes through as an enhancement - till then the only way I would know is to do like I mentioned.  Unless you do it backwards and create a new copied part and have your designations at the part level.

The biggest reason I stopped using configurations is the inability for SW to rebuild the configurations at all levels, how many times did issues come up because you didn't hit crtl Q, I can't wait till forced rebuilds are gone........ (don't mean to hijack the post on this)