7 8 9 10 11 1,042 Replies Latest reply on Mar 23, 2016 2:39 PM by David Tiefenbrunn Go to original post
      • 120. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
        Randall Hutchison

Just for reference: How many hours per day/week are you working directly in Solidworks?

Thank you in advance for letting us know as this seems to be a differentiating factor with many who don't like it.

• 121. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
          Ethan Kay

Naoki,

I think I understand what you are saying and agree. The image that shows the type of tool is much more bold than the target so the target is not the focus of your eye, the tool indicator is.

I'm also not sure if it is something with my settings or monitor but the target and tool indicator images have a grey outline that makes them look fuzzy, although I don't see them on your screen shots.

• 122. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
            Adrian Velazquez

Well seems like the ones that haven't been listening are some users.  The UI was definitely broken and it's code was the cause of many crashes and the instability we all complain about. Yes the Classic Color should come back! (at least as an option), and I think it will, but the UI definitely needed an overhaul. 2016 is the first version on this new UI, so we are dealing with this issues, but as a user/customer mid/long term I see a positive (regardless if I like the colors or not).

• 123. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
              Al Griego

I've received that email, too. I think they're committed. That stuff is set up to send in advance and it's easier to keep putting it out than to not send out something that day. If they don't put out the marketing emails, then you don't click on it, and the website doesn't get traffic, and nobody buys the software. They will stay the course, then, eventually, the'll announce new "enhancements" that allow you to customize your UI.

My $.02. Your mileage may vary.

• 124. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                Dave Hoder

I Agree. Veteran users seem to think the UI is great. As a new user the UI is a fat bloated pig that's had many band-aids applied and really shows its age. Out of the box it's not even usable (you can't even do the tutorials without customizing the UI). The video referred to at the beginning of this thread shows they realize this and are doing something about it. I think the new icons are fine, the color scheme just sucks. I don't like the new sketch pointer or the sketch point icon but it's not the end of the world. Just fix the color scheme and continue cutting the fat off the pig.

• 125. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                  Brian Stranyak

I would of preferred having a GUI option (2015 colors), as opposed to changing it completely. Thanks for reading our opinions.

SW user since 2006

• 126. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                    David Tiefenbrunn

I work for a small company.  I don't have time to re learn UIs every other year.  SW2015 does more than I need to do my job.  

• 127. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                      Wendy Mark

Time spent for me is 7+; 8+ when I work overtime.  There is not a lot of my job which is not using SolidWorks.

• 128. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                        Scott Mohr

I'm enjoying the new interface. Yes, it takes a short time to re-"reflex recognize" a couple of icons, but after a couple pauses for a tooltip to pop up, I've acclimated well. I'm also thoroughly enjoying a returned stability.... After a glut of nightmarish bugs in 2014/2015, 2016 seems to be stable. If there is a change to the UI coming up, please allow this current one to be available as an option...

• 129. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                          Matt Mengel

Dave - I've been using SW for almost ten years and I'd agree with most of your suggestions. Too much going on in the window. The new icons aren't much different, that's fine. Everything grey and blue? No, thanks. Someone in this thread commented about how the color blue induced the most eyestrain. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface I feel that's something to consider (or should have been).

The sketch pointer is very odd to me as well. the line icon next to it is larger and has more contrast than the little crosshair. It looks as if the line icon is what I should be using for click placement. I think the crosshair as an icon is fine if they want to get away from the pencil which seems dated. It's the execution of it where the problem lies, in my opinion.

• 130. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                            David Tiefenbrunn

When I'm working on a project, it could be 6hrs a day for a week.  Then I'm doing other CAD and design in other things, like circuits and circuit boards.  CADSTAR has done nothing but get better since the days of DOS, when we used to say it was "user hostile" software.  Sad to see Solidworks, which I originally found to be the most intuitive software I ever used to start heading the other way...  

• 131. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                              Glenn Schroeder

Matt Mengel wrote:

I think the crosshair as an icon is fine if they want to get away from the pencil which seems dated. It's the execution of it where the problem lies, in my opinion.

I agree.  Make the crosshair lines longer and heavier and it would be fine.

• 132. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                                David Tiefenbrunn

I'm not into form over function.

A tool is a tool, what works best is what it should be.  Maybe a pointer / pencil works best for some things / users, and a cross hair for others.  That has been a choice in CADSTAR so far back I don't even remember.

• 133. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                                  Randall Hutchison

There have been some posts on here discussing that they like the new user interface and some that think the new user interface is why the program is more stable.

I am asking for a definition of 'more stable' as I have crashed twice in 9.5 hours of operation.

Is this the norm?

Have already been through multiple sessions with technical support with no definitive answer to the problem.

• 134. Re: SOLIDWORKS 2016 User Interface
                                    Matt Mengel

I agree about function being king but they have to juggle the form/function thing to find the best compromise. What's good for some users is not for others, obviously. I only use a small portion of SW's functionality day to day so I'd love to see my interface stripped down to what I need. But that certainly wouldn't work for users in industries other than the one I work in. I can't image being the person trying to make ALL of us...content?

Again, I understand change is going to happen whether I like it or not. I feel how they did it is what upset folks more than that they did it.

7 8 9 10 11