2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 7, 2016 11:06 AM by Boyko Tchavdarov

How do I impose an initial temperature distribution from the results of a prior study on some components, and not on others?

J. Morin

How do I impose an initial temperature distribution from the results of a prior study on some components, and not on others?

Detail:

I'm using SW2015 Simulation for a transient thermal analysis.  The system consists of three assemblies, two represent heating plates and the third is the object being heated between them.  I have imposed a uniform, high starting temp on the plates, and a uniform, low starting temp on the object.  I did this by selecting each entire subassembly in the tree and imposing an initial temperature thermal load.  I then apply power input on some appropriate faces, and let it run.  This has worked well.  The results seem reasonable and I've run it for a number of different scenarios.

But in reality, we will be periodically removing one (hot) heated object and replacing it with a new (cold) one.  So the plates won't be at a uniform temperature at the beginning of the cycle, they'll have the temperature distribution left over from the end of the prior cycle.  I copied my study, went to the (new) study properties, checked the box to apply "Initial temperatures from thermal study", and selected the results from the last timestep of the first study.  I then suppressed the initial temperature load on the heating plates, but left the initial (cold) temperature load on the object, saved and ran the new study.

I hoped that the initial temperature load would override the initial temp distribution from the study properties.  The results, however, did not look right.  Much too warm.  As a check, I then suppressed the initial (cold) temperature load on the object, saved and re-ran.  No noticeable difference in the results.  So it seems that I cannot override a temp distribution specified in the study properties.

So how can I impose an initial temperature distribution from the results of a prior study on some components, and not on others?

Thanks in advance.