AnsweredAssumed Answered

CPU vs GPU (Compare Laptops Dell M4300 Lenovo T61P)

Question asked by David Anthony on Oct 17, 2007
Latest reply on Oct 19, 2007 by Travis Andrews
I'm looking at both the Dell M4300 and Lenovo T61P notebooks, whichare both 15.4" notebooks and SW certified.

The M4300 can be configured with a T7800 Core 2 Duo CPU (2.6Ghz),the GPU is Nvidia Quadro FX360M.

The Lenovo has a more powerful GPU Quadro FX570M, but the fastestCPU available is 'only' T7700 (2.4Ghz).

All else being equal (RAM, HDD, screen, price, etc.), would SWperformance be better with a faster CPU + slower GPU or a slowerCPU + faster GPU ?

Most of what I have seen recommended for SW points to leaningtowards the better CPU. Also, as far as I know, Nvidia GPU's do tapinto the CPU's power to boost graphics performance (the gamingcards do at least, not sure about the Quadros). This has me leaningtowards the Dell's ultimate CPU power, which should hopefully boostthe FX360M's performance.

On the other hand, I do tend to run an external monitor off mylaptop most of the time and much of my work is conceptual designincluding some rendering. I just can't believe that the 'entrylevel' FX360M could be really suitable.

Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated.

Outcomes