3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 11:03 AM by John Stoltzfus

2D Drawings Optimizations

Cole Reynolds

Hello All,

I was wondering if there is a better way to make 2D drawings better.  We have factories that specifically need 2D DWG ACAD files for production.  We typically do everything is AUTOCAD, but recently we are using SW to optimized our engineering process.  When converting a model to a 2D dwg layout, there isnt a nice way of creating a nice, understandable model.  Yes, you can create a 3 or 4 view 2D, but there are no layers, no section view hatching. Maybe these work and I dont know how to do it.  That would be great if so.  Please let me know if you have any questions or comments.  Thanks!!

• Re: 2D Drawings Optimizations
          Jeff Holliday

Layers do not work the same way as in ACAD. You certainly can get section view hatching in SW drawings. Having 3 2-D views is normally the minimum expected to show the proper dimensional info for a 3D model with extra views to show details as needed.

Chris Dordoni

If the drawings are to be used directly for 2d cutting (ie, laser, waterjet, router) you might need to make sure you have curves that use arcs instead of splines. A lot of 2D CNC cutting either does not use splines, or the splines must be converted to arcs.

SolidWorks has no ability to convert splines to arcs, so if you need an arc it must be drawn as an arc, or use a 3rd party utility to convert the splines to arcs.

John Stoltzfus

If you are trying to optimize your design process, why would you save it as a dwg format, use the entire SolidWorks package.  SW is much faster than AutoCad, when it comes to drawings and custom properties, sheet formats etc...

If your parts go to a CNC machining center or similar equipment, there are CNC programs that accept the SW Solid Model on import, so no dxf is required.