19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2016 7:58 PM by Richard Wagenaar

Sketch Environment: I do not like it Sam I Am...

Chris Clouser

I do not like it in my house.  I do not like to use it with my mouse.

No I do not like your new blue eggs and ham.

Leaving the colors and icons for another discussion, the sketch environment is VERY frustrating.

Most of us are operating SW now on basically muscle memory.  This new interface will be like relearning to walk after a brain injury.

WHY DOES SOLIDWORKS NOT UNDERSTAND THE FUNDAMENTAL CONCEPT THAT WE OPERATE THIS PROGRAM LARGELY BY REFLEX?  WE HAVE THOUSANDS OF HOURS OF REPETITION AND CHANGING THINGS COMPLETELY THROWS US OFF!

For instance, they added that new ability to grip the mid point.  That's nice, but now all SW wants to do is grab that mid point when you simply want to dimension from one line to another.

I don't like the cross hair that replaced the pencil.  It too tiny.  If you are drawing something, say a line, the crosshair is much smaller than the symbol next to it, so your eye is drawn to the symbol rather than the crosshair.

STUPID!

Maybe some of you will tell me that we can change this crosshair or make it bigger, I hope.

Next, I used to be able to click on a dimension and hit delete.  Now I can't.  If you click on a dimension, it automatically puts you in edit mode of that dimension!  What the hell?  That used to be simply accomplished by a double click.

Again, please tell me there is a way to set this back to the way we've been doing it for 20 friggen years.

Any other issues with the new sketch environment, post them below...

• Re: Sketch Environment: I do not like it Sam I Am...
          Eric Henderson

Totally agreed about the dimension editing. Really frustrating.

On the mid-point snap, try unchecking the box in your system options under sketch - relations/snaps. I haven't tried it but it seems like it would work......but who knows.

Kevin Conaghann

I've found that turning off the midpoint snap only removes your ability to snap to that when adding to sketch elements. The dimension tool will still snap to the midpoint regardless of how this is set.

I had to use the command search to find the instant 2D option though. When I used the locate button Solidworks told me it was not found in any menu, toolbar or command manager. Good of them to hide it from us.

Marshall Wilson

That dimension thing IS really frustrating. I have to zoom around now to try to grab the dimension by the leg now if i want to delete it. Thats a pain.  It also would be nice to edit the size of the sketch icon.

Alan Sweetenham

Hi Chris

There are inevitably going to be some things that can be improved with this set of changes I started a topic during beta  with my feedback and looking for others and it certainly got some!

As far as the midpoint highlighting i can't see a way to turn it off at the moment but i'll have a better look on the knowledgebase.

There is an enhancement request you can add yourself to in order to change the sketch cursor back to the pencil (SPR 916477)

However i raised an enhancement request of my own just before the Christmas break to give control of the size of the new cross hair just waiting to hear back with an SPR number. Personally i prefer the new cross hair but could do with the ability to scale it certainly that’s the main comment i've heard so far.

For the sketch dimension issue you will want to toggle the new Instant 2d function  off, this is at the end of the sketch tab. i think that is one i'll be having a shortcut to turn on and off myself.

Alan

Chris Clouser

Thanks that worked.  Instead of "Instant 2D" it should be called "Instant PITA"

It's funny how out of touch SW is.  OK, not funny, sad.

"Normal To" is probably the one command I use the most.  Why isn't it easier to access, and should for sure be on the sketch toolbar?

Yes, yes.  I know, I can customize it.  But what it does is show that the developers don't really USE the software.

Glenn Schroeder

Chris Clouser wrote:

Thanks that worked.  Instead of "Instant 2D" it should be called "Instant PITA"

It's funny how out of touch SW is.  OK, not funny, sad.

"Normal To" is probably the one command I use the most.  Why isn't it easier to access, and should for sure be on the sketch toolbar?

Yes, yes.  I know, I can customize it.  But what it does is show that the developers don't really USE the software.

Chris,

I just installed SW2016 this morning and have been playing with it.  Regarding the Instant 2d, as Mike said, it's easy enough to click anywhere on the dimension except directly on the value and delete like always.  To me that's a minor workflow change that won't be difficult to adjust to.  In fact I use Instant 3d so often to edit dimensions that for me it's counterintuitive to need to double-click on a dimension to edit when I'm in a sketch, so I'm really going to enjoy that feature.  I can't understand complaining so much about a feature that's so easy to turn off.

And I also use Normal to often.  It's on my heads-up toolbar.  If you want it on your Sketch toolbar then it takes about 15 seconds to put it there.  I wouldn't want it there myself.  Again, you can customize it.  I fail to see how everything not being just the way you want it indicates that the developers are doing a bad job.

And I'm not finding it all difficult to click on a line when dimensioning and not get the midpoint by accident.

And don't get me wrong, when I think they've messed up I say so, and have done so many times, but they can't read everyone's minds.

Marshall Wilson

I agree with this - there's a lot I'm skeptical about regarding 2016 interface changes - colors esp. - but I like instant 2d also and it IS easy to turn off. As to customization there's barely a command I use that I haven't customized. Nearly every sketch element and relation has a key command (though now that I think of it Normal would be good for a key command too). I don't see developers job as knowing the best interface layout for my work - their job is creating an environment flexible enough to accommodate all of our working routines.

Glenn Schroeder

Marshall Wilson wrote:

I agree with this - there's a lot I'm skeptical about regarding 2016 interface changes - colors esp. - but I like instant 2d also and it IS easy to turn off. As to customization there's barely a command I use that I haven't customized. Nearly every sketch element and relatuon has a key command (though now that I think of it Normal would be good for a key command too). I don't see developers job as knowing the best layout for my work - their job is creating and environment flexible enough to accommodate all our working routines.

That was very well said.

Eric Irwin

Just because I use it all the time, the shortcut for "normal to" is ctrl-8.  I find this very handy when the sketch starts from the opposite side of the part that I want it to.  If you hit ctrl-8 and you are already normal to the sketch, it will flip to the other orientation (front to back).

Of course this also opens the conversation to ctrl-1,2,3,4,5,6 are all the standard views.  I don't really use them, because they are on my Spacemouse.  I do use ctrl-7, which is the standard ISO view.

Worth Berry

Thanks Alan! Turning off the 2D fixed it!

Worth Berry

I'm glad that I'm not the only one having problems deleting dimensions. What used to be a seamless action, now seems to take several tries and much frustration. There has to be an easier way, or a trick to it in 2016.

John Stoltzfus

Thanks for the heads up Chris - the forum is full of reasons not to install 2016 and or bugs

Craig Schultz

The crosshair vs pencil is the most frustrating to me.

Second is the midpoint.

I'm sure the dimension issue will kick me in the nards later.  I haven't done too much actual modeling, just testing stuff out and messing around.

Like many people I don't know why they would think changing the icons/pick points that have been the same since I started ('99) would be a great idea.  I understand updating the icons to vector images and a more modern look, but I lack the understanding of the color removal.  I don't care what SWMC/SWID look like, SWMC is a different product that is a niche market compared to the SW base.

Mike Pogue

I'm not seeing the same behavior. If I click a line anywhere other than the midpoint, I don't get the midpoint-the cursor has to be inside the box to get it. Likewise for dimensions. I don't have to zoom around. If I click anywhere other than the value, I get the dimension and can delete it.

Chris Clouser

In the past, if you click the dimension once, you could delete it.  Twice you could edit it.

If you're used to doing it that way, then it's frustrating the new way.  You have to relearn how to select stuff.

Fortunately, as mentioned above, if you turn off that instant 2d thing it goes back to normal.

The same goes for the midpoint.  If you used to selecting lines say for dimensioning, typically you would naturally click close to the middle, then now you are going to get the snap.  Another thing to relearn.

I think the moral to the story is to only inundate us with minor UI changes each release.  It's like the boiling a frog fable.  Just turn the heat up a little at a time.

Richard Wagenaar

So you want some functionality that was already in Autocad 2.6 in 1980?

They had pickbox and aperture at that time  to make selecting objects and

object snapping area user configurable. They also had user configurable

crosshair size.  In the past I have sent these enhancerequests but these things

are really hard to understand for Solidworks.

Or maybe they think all Autocad is bad.

I use Solidworks since 1995 and just like Solidworks was innovative and listened

to the users in that time there are now other companies taking over who do care.

Solidworks lost the contact with the user.