21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 11:32 PM by Deepak Gupta

some templates are not present

Greg Hyman

Not sure what further information I can provide.

Yesterday, sw worked.

Today, clicking on "new" gives me a popup dlgbox that says "some templates are not present" and the only item that is not greyed out is "drawing."  Part and Assembly are not active.

What templates?

We aren't using any custom templates, and the dialogbox is just a generic message with absolutely no information about what the problem actually is.

I can no longer create solids or assemblies, only drawings.

What templates is it looking for to give me core functionality?

Why would it suddenly stop being able to find these templates?

Why not make the dialog box say specifically what template it needs to let the user create a solid - isn't that sort of a mandatory thing that people would need to know?

The "File Locations" dropdown has a huge selection of templates types to choose from, but I don't see anything that says "Solid" or "Assembly"

• Re: some templates are not present
          Jeff Mirisola

It sounds like your part and assembly templates have gone AWOL. Why, who knows. However, to fix it: open up an existing part and delete all the features. 'Save as', changing the file as a part template and save it to your templates folder. Do the same with an assembly, saving it as an assembly template.

Greg Hyman

OK, there are already some files in the templates folder... "Part.prtdot" "Drawing.drwdot" "Assembly.asmdot" and "Marker.txt"

Do I 'save as' using the existing names? or create new names?

Deepak Gupta

Simply remove all the paths for Document Template under Tools > Options > System Options > File Location and make sure only template folder path is there. If not them add that path.

Greg Hyman

right, that's the only path that's there.  but what names do I give to the new templates?

Deepak Gupta

NO need to give any new name. If the path is there and it has the files, then everything should be fine.

Just start a new file and check.

Also where you connected to Network or had template files at different location(s) also?

Greg Hyman

ok, i think i messed up.

i did not give my 'save as' files a new name.

The path is there and it has the files i mentioned earlier, but it is not fine.

When I start a new file, it says I can create a new drawing, or now I have two other things I can create; both are called 10281377T09modifiedleadingroove

If I create either of those, then the whole system defaults to iso rather than ansi, the units and precision and everything else all change to the settings our customer file had, not the defaults that solidworks had.

is there a way to change the defaults back to...  well, to the defaults from when sw was installed?

Oh - forgot the rest of your answer...connected to a local network where we store all of our completed models / drawings / assemblies.  But we have always used the local computer for all of the file locations, never used any templates here at all, network or otherwise.

Jeff Mirisola

Go into your templates folder and rename the two files (slow double-click on the file name). After they've been renamed, open each, go to your options->document options and reset it to ANSI and save the changes.

Deepak Gupta

Looks like you saved in the same location as template file instead of model file.

Just keep the "Part.prtdot" "Drawing.drwdot" "Assembly.asmdot" and "Marker.txt" files in that folder and make sure you remove everything OR move them to different location. Now start a new file and see everything is correct.

You can change set/change Tools > Options > Document Properties > Units. Start a new file and set the units you need and then save as template file overwriting the existing one. This way when you start a new file you would get the required settings.

Greg Hyman

"Looks like you saved in the same location as template file instead of model file."

You said to save them to the template folder.  Is that not the correct location?

"Just keep the "Part.prtdot" "Drawing.drwdot" "Assembly.asmdot" and "Marker.txt" files in that folder and make sure you remove everything OR move them to different location. Now start a new file and see everything is correct."

keep them, remove them, move them... starting a new file results in "some templates are not present."  As such, I cannot start a new file in order to change the default settings.

Thomas Bernert

If the files are still there it might be worth trying to open them and see if they open, also double check Options>File Locations> Document Templates is set to the correct templates folder, otherwise I would just overwrite the templates in that folder with the ones you created as described by Jeff

Greg Hyman

sorry - didn't see you reply dow at the bottom.

so - overwrite the existing files, or keep the source file names?

keeping the source filenames did not work out so well, so I'm guessing I should have renamed them to the existing files. 

But now I'm suddenly facing a completely new set of default settings on top of everything else...  can sw just add a "restore defaults" button for times like this?  or just use default settings if it loses a template?

Greg Hyman

OK, I'm done troubleshooting.

A couple of hours to track down templates, as well as a feeling that with multiple "try this" answers that conflict with other answers as to whether or not to rename files, delete files, keep files, whether or not to put the files in the template folder, and quite possibly a misunderstanding of the initial problem (which is... I cannot create a new part or assembly at all. period.)... And no offense to anyone - seriously, I appreciate all your help - but it sounds like this simply does not have an "if solidworks reports *this* error, then do *this* to fix it" solution, and as much as I realize software updates typically come from user troubleshooting...  I really have to get some work done.

uninstall, wipe the registry entries and droppings left on the computer reboot and reinstall.  hopefully that takes care of it.

Again, thank you for your help. and sorry I don't have time to try a bunch of things just for the sake of trying, but I really just need it to work.

Greg Hyman

follow-up...

Re-installing from scratch fixed the problem.  Everything seems to be working fine again.

For the record, the "template" folder now contains : Assembly.asmdot, Drawing.drwdot, and Part.prtdot (and I saved copies of these files in case it happens again!)  These are the same files that were there initially, this is the same path / folder as before, and the 'file location' option still points to this folder, just like before.  But for whatever reason, sw can find them now.

@deepak gupta, @ jeff mirisola:  I'm sure that between the two of you, the correct solution was in there, but one of you is saying "save a blank part in the template folder with the same name as the existing (corrupt?) files - overwrite them, a windows update breaks this function, repair, install a newer version..." and the other is saying "don't change the name of the part you are saving in there, don't save anything in there, keep the files that are in there, modify the files that are in there, delete all of the files, copy all of the files, just create a new part and change the units..."  Thank you for your assistance on this, but I was sort of hoping that if sw generates an error, that there is a solution to that error rather than a lot of "try this. no, try this. no, try this.  wait, don't try that after all.  ok, try doing the thing that you already said you can't do..."  To be fair, it is a poorly-written error from solidworks - if it can't find a file, then the error should say which file it can't find rather than "some random file is missing."

If I don't sound grateful enough for your assistance, I am sorry - but I was really hoping for a cut-and-dried solution to the problem at hand, not a long process of me trying a lot of stuff that in the end, only contradicted the previous instructions, and ultimately did not solve the problem at all.  I don't mind trying to solve a problem, but for the price of this software, I would like to believe they have a more unambiguous error-reporting system, and that the solutions that are offered are solutions rather than guesses.  Again, I thank you all for your assistance, but had I known at the time it was mostly just fishing, I would have simply started with re-installing rather than lose the time getting frustrated by going down a series of cul-de-sacs only to end up right back at the same place every time.

Solidworks, please consider making your error reporting a little more informative and robust so that people have a better chance of solving issues when they arise.

Deepak Gupta

Greg, I think there was some kind of miscommunication or misunderstanding. While you were saying that file templates are there but then when you create new files the name is different. And you might had saved a model file (not template file) in the same location causing more issues. We should had rather asked you to share the screen shots and/or the files. I can tell you that the either solution was simple and no major steps were required (like a reinstall).

Anyhow glad that all is fixed now.