AnsweredAssumed Answered

Patterning Fasteners

Question asked by John Wayman on Jan 4, 2016
Latest reply on Aug 28, 2018 by Glenn Schroeder

This is probably another of my 'It's different to Pro/E' questions. If so,I apologise!

My preferences is to make my fixing holes as patterns. I create the first hole and pattern the hole to all the locations I want.

Once I have my fixing holes, I fit a fastener to the first hole and pattern it. In Pro/E, the software knew the first hole was part of a pattern, so it automatically put a fastener in each of the patterned holes. One click.

Is this possible in Solidworks, or do I have to go through the whole 'click pattern, click pattern-based pattern, click the model tree, find the part and click it, find the pattern of holes and click it' rigmarole every time? At least 7 clicks by my count.

I am aware that I can drag a toolbox fastener in and drop it onto each of my holes. That is all very well, but, firstly, I have no indication if I miss one of the holes by accident and, secondly, if the fastener length were to be changed in the future, I have to somehow explicitly select each one and change it - again, with no indication if I miss one.

The advantage of my patterned fasteners method is that, should I need to change the diameter or length of the fastener, I need only change the first item in each pattern and regenerate, then they all change. I know there are the number of fasteners required and no more or less, and I know they are all the same size and length.

I think this is basic stuff in a 3D CAD system, so I must be missing the trick.

Could someone point me in the right direction, please?

SW2014, SP5

Cheers,

John

Outcomes