4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2016 12:03 PM by Christopher Sudlik

Is there any way to manage open windows/parts?

Christopher Sudlik

I recently noticed that having a large number of parts, assemblies, drawings, etc. open makes it almost impossible to get anything done. Even having just an assembly and 1-3 parts open is a huge pain, as the files minimize in the graphics area to be small and only part of the name shows, and they move around a lot, so I can never tell which file is which until maximized.

Is there a way to have parts show up in a bar or area separate from the rest of the viewing area so that I can see them all at once, and maybe show more of their names? Or is that kind of functionality reserved to every single other piece of software in the industry?

• Re: Is there any way to manage open windows/parts?
          Dennis Bacon

Christopher,, I may not be understanding your question correctly but does hovering the cursor over the SW icon on the task bar or Ctrl-Tab not do what you need?

Hovering

Ctrl-Tab

• Re: Is there any way to manage open windows/parts?
            Mark Biasotti

Hi Christopher,

One other thing to keep in mind - that is if you open an assembly and also have a number of parts also opening automatically  that are reference parts (base>derived), is to make sure your tools>options>system options>external references "Load Reference Documents" is set to "Prompt or "None."

The default setting for this is "changed only" but I instruct all our engineers to keep this setting to  "prompt" or "none."  it is a dangerous setting  (SolidWorks PD) to have set at "changed only"  or "All"  by default since in a collaborate setting colleagues could be working on Base parts that are "in transition" and not yet ready to be published and updating derived parts. Besides, opening reference parts automatically is most of the time, unnecessary and and just takes away from your SW memory and multiple window clutter - which is my first point.

Mark