10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 2:50 AM by Igor Fomenko

Is it possible to link drawing to it`s part for future reusing?

Igor Fomenko

I want to make template part for future reusing in diferent assies with different dimensions.

And I want to make template drawing for this part for future reusing.

So I want to link part with it`s drawing....

I think it`s possible only inside one file. Other ways will be inconvenient...

But there is no such possibility inside SW,am I right?

• Re: Is it possible to link drawing to it`s part for future reusing?
          Ed Cyganik

You are correct, it is not possible to save a drawing template with a part or assembly reference.

I have been asking SolidWorks to provide for this functionality forever.

I would like to see a drawing template with an embedded part template

...also, a drawing template with an embedded assembly template

The only alternative I can think (and one that we use all the time) is to create your part & drawing and save in a known location

then access the files and perform a "pack & go".

I have several combinations of parts, assemblies and all of their corresponding drawings set-up this way for very specific needs.

All of the possible scenarios have documented procedures with step-by-step instructions.

Scott Harvey

Why not just create the template the way you want it and save it as a slddrw file (drawing file) and pin it to your file menu?  You would essentially open it up and save as immediately to keep the integrity of the template file.  I would also save a backup version of the file in case you accidentally save over it.

Igor Fomenko

It`s possible of course.

And it`s possible to use drawing as master file and save it with reference option also.

But you will have to rename both files each time you use it in different assemblies and keep care about saving and renaming part with it`s drawing.

Scott Harvey

You mentioned catia does file for part and drawing.  Catia has different file extensions for part and drawing (Part = .catpart ) (Drawing = .CATDrawing).  A little confused on how they are one file.

My response was thinking your part stays the same and you want a drawing to open up with sheet 3 or whatever fully dimensioning this part.  That doesn't look to be the case.

I am thinking now you are using some part as an initial start then altering it for an assembly then you want an updated drawing.  That would be a pack and go per Ed's response. Basically you would insert that template part into your assembly and alter it for that assembly, open up the template drawing and pack n go it and change the name.

You have to have different names for the parts.  Unless you are very new and don't understand the concept of configurations.  Do you know about configurations?  You would then have 1 part file and 1 drawing file for many configurations.

Igor Fomenko

My case:

I like to use top-down design.

I draw skeleton sketch in assy and insert several "templated" or "library" parts (flanges, poles,gussets,cross arms and so on). Some parts are "library" parts and they are using without changes,they can have a lot of configurations. Other parts "templated" after unsertion I make relation of it`s geometry to skeleton sketch of assy.So they doesn`t have configurations in general,they are "live".

In any case I want to make part and it`s drawing and not to redraw part each time i use it in each assy.That`s all...

James Hutchins

I've never had much of problem with this approach:

I have a base part/assembly and associated drawing.

1. Open drawing
                        2. Save As - new file name.slddrw,  (save as copy unchecked)
                        3. From the drawing view, right click, open the part
                        4. Save As - new file name.sldprt/asm (save as copy unchecked)
                        5. Click back to the drawing
                        6. Save

That's it.  I never touch the references button.  The original base files are unchanged.

Also if you want an assembly base file to contain unique parts, you can save the base parts as virtual components.

Igor Fomenko

Thank you James,but:

what will be if assy which contains part is opened at that moment without "save as copy"?

what will be if I don`t work with drawing at this moment and change part name from assy (many thanks to new SW 2016 release for this great opportunity) or by general way.

and so on....

James,I have a huge amount of actions each day with assy,it`s parts,it`s library parts and it`s drawings.

And now I have to care not only about design but about providing integrity of data too.

I think we are living in XXI cuntury and we are working in the best system in this world.Let`s make it a little more better.

I see only two ways to simplify our job:

1. put this job on operation system or PDM system to care about copying part and assy with it`s drawings and renaming both files when one of them is renamed

2.make drawing inside part (assy) document

I prefer 2nd way. There are two tabs under feature tree:"model" and "3d views". It lefts to add one more tab like in famous AutoCAD Paper space.

That`s it.

Swapnil Dhake

Hi Igor,

You can save drawing template with the views stored in it.

when you create drawing from a new part, this particular template can be used to place view automatically

and you can also insert model items with option "use dimension placement in sketch".

So, If you once create a part template with organised dimensions, you can reduce your efforts to a considerable level.

Deepak Gupta

One way could be using the DriveWorksXpress where you can make master part and a drawing associated with it.