8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 8:28 PM by Shaun Densberger

Acceleration Loading

Danny Bouldin

I have a weldment which is all steel. I am trying to analyze a crash load condition which induces a 1000 lb crash load which would not be a full 1G crash. Since you still would have gravity loading of 1G down, how do you induce an acceleration load  of say 0.5G in the side direction along with the gravity load of 1G down?????

• Re: Acceleration Loading
          Attilio Colangelo

You can define gravity loads in 3 directions by going to "Advanced" in the Gravity load dialog.

Shaun Densberger

I believe you could just define a single acceleration vector with the appropriate components. That being said, if the event you're trying to model isn't time-independent, then you'll need to do a non-linear dynamic analysis (a "drop" analysis). Be warned that, while SolidWorks has this capability, the results from it shouldn't be given too much weight.

Janko Stellaard

Why shouldn't the results be given too much weight? What is that based on?

The algorithms are quite standard and straightforward, the user input is usually the problem.

Shaun Densberger

The general concept of explicit time integration is straight forward, but developing a finite element code that can accurately model high-rate situations isn't. For example, how your contact algorithms work, how they dissipate energy, and how they handle self-contact is by no means straightforward. When you factor this, the constitutive models available, and the fact that SW is a straight tet-blaster, you quickly begin to realize that it's not a robust FEM code for for high-rate nonlinear problems. Sure, there will be a subset of problems that I'm sure SW could get a good answer for with respect to certain results, but that doesn't mean it can be extended out beyond that.

James Riddell

For simplifications sake, why wouldn't you just add a force of that magnitude on, say, the upper face of the framing member acting in the desired direction?

______________ <-- F

I        |                 I

I        v G            I

I                          I

----------------------

Do you have any pictures?