8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2016 8:15 AM by Steve Lovell

Reading Custom Properties from Windows Explorer

Robert Casey

Hello. We have moved from SW version 2012 to 2016 and now find that the Custom Properties tab is missing from WIndows Explorer for any newly written or overwritten 2016 files. The information should still be available in WE according to the 2016 Help files, but it isn't in our set-up. Is this a known bug? We use this functionality a lot with DSOFILE.dll and our old VB6 software and this is going to cause real problems for us.  I understand there is a Solidworks Document Manager API, is this something I have to use? Thanks.

• Re: Reading Custom Properties from Windows Explorer
          Matt Martens

I wasn't aware you could previously read custom properties in the manner you described. The DM API is capable of reading file properties from all SW documents without the need to open them in the interface.

You will need a license key in order to access the DM. You just need to request one through the SW website here: API Support SOLIDWORKS . There are a couple of DM macro examples on the API examples page also.

Good luck.

Robert Casey

Thanks for that! At least this sounds as though there is some way forwards even if it means changing some code.

It would appear that Solidworks are wanting an active subscription (ie more money) to provide a licence for the DM, so i'm going to demand one from our VAR seeing as they have supplied a program which (if the Help files are to be believed) is broken in this area.  Not a good start to this "update"...

Matt Martens

I don't know how it works with your VAR, but with ours the first year of subscription is part of the package. Whether you renew or not is up to you. I have been fortunate enough to be with companies that always keep up on their subscriptions.

Personally, I believe you should always stay on subscription. Either you pay $1500 per year per license OR you pay $6000 per license every time you update. And in most cases, the updates come with free training on the new features when your on subscription instead of having to figure it out on your own through several major releases.

Steve Lovell

Hi Robert,

I feel your pain, this is a big issue for me as well.

I think this is related to the same issue that stopped SW search working with custom properties, it changed in SW2015.

I had a custom property set as our database number I could just type the part number in the top left search box in SW and up popped the the part, perfect.

Unbelievably this no longer working is not a bug but intended functionality, go figure! 

I have never had a good explanation, the best I've had was it was to reduce file size.

I would rather have a large file I can easily find than as small one I can't.

Steve.

Kevin Brewster

Robert,

The Document Manager license download is free of charge for the the SolidWorks API Support site. Just fill out the online form, submit it, and SW will forward you a license to use in your applications. The API help has several sample applications to show you how to set up and use the DM API.

i have been using this interface to replace our old DSO based applications and find it simple and stable. The DM API offers a wide array of functionality specific to SolidWorks files that you cant do with DSO.

Kevin

Steve Lovell

Hi Robert,

Did you ever get around this issue?

Steve