21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2016 9:50 AM by Bill Briggs

Running Group at SWW16 in Dallas

William Radigan

I'm looking forward to the morning runs in Dallas for SWW16 but hoped to get a little bit of local-wisdom in order to pack correctly.

Is Shorts & T-Shirt appropriate, or should I include my Mid-Winter-Morning-Run wardrobe of Under Armour thermals?

Also, are there any recommended routes in the downtown area, or anything specifically to avoid?

Cheers,

-William

cc: Joe Lance Jim Wilkinson

• Re: Running Group at SWW16 in Dallas
            William Radigan

Thanks for the links Rolando!  Isn't 55 oF [13oC] the average high-temperature for the day?  Since we usually run early in the morning I was expecting temperatures closer to 40 oF [4 oC] around sunrise and wondered about about how wind-chill or humidity might affect how that feels.  (I'm from the desert and don't know much about either of those things.)

Jim Wilkinson

Hi William,

Of course you know I am IN for the running. I'm staying at the Omni Dallas Hotel. How about you?

55 sounds perfect...shorts and short sleeves for me!

Thanks for that information and the links to the running sites Rolando.

One promising thing that is relatively close is the Trinity Levee Trail which is 0.7 miles from the hotel. However, I am guessing the trail is not lit, so with sunrise at 7:20 that time a year, we would need headlamps, which I am OK with if it is safe there (anybody know?).

The Katy Trail is 1.2 miles away from the Omni and looks like it has lights starting at 5 am and if you look at the map on their site, it shows an "On-Street Connection" going about half that distance (whatever that means): Friends of Katy Trail

Looking forward to it!!

-Wilkie

Glenn Schroeder

I wish ya'll luck with that 55°.  At that time of year where I live, which is only about a 3-1/2 hour drive to the southeast, the highs can be anywhere from the teens to the low 80's, although the 80's are more likely.  Last year at one point the daily high temperature went up 50° (from 30° to 80°), and then back down 50°, with sleet at each end, within a 10-day span.

And no, I won't be joining you.  If you see me running beside the road please stop and help, because something is chasing me.

William Radigan

Hmmmm.  That sounds more like what I was trying to plan for.  My brother lives in Grapevine and we often tease him about the unusually variable weather he experiences compared to the relatively-mild seasons here in Albuquerque.  I'll keep my fingers crossed that our morning runs avoid the sleet and freezing rain.  I like to think I'm tough, but that's a test I'd rather not have to take.

If you're only a few hours away and running isn't your thing, bring a bike and ride along.  It's a great way to get the body and mind moving and ready for a big day.

William Radigan

The first peek at the Dallas, TX 10-day forecast looks promising.  The low-temperature Sunday morning is supposed to be 57 degF.  Whohoo!  The trend looks promising as well.

SWW_Running_Forcast.jpg

Jim Wilkinson

Hello Everyone,

William and I have come up with the running plan at SOLIDWORKS World 2016.

Meeting time: 6:00 am, Monday-Wednesday

Meeting location: We will meet at the Pegasus sculpture in front of the Omni hotel. Here is information on it:

http://www.omnihotels.com/blog/pegasus-lands-at-omni-dallas-hotel/

and here is a google map link to the location.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.7763884,-96.8043485,3a,75y,130h,78.05t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCyRzAyLnEgTLcLzqRe4xWg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Temperature: We are guessing based on recent temps it will be anywhere from 30-50 degrees F (-1-10 C), probably in the 35-45 F (2-7 C) range. So dress accordingly.

Pace: The main group usually runs at an 8:30-9:30 pace to accommodate the most number of runners. However, sometimes there are "splinter groups" going at faster or slower paces and sometimes even a walking group. If you want to lead a walking group, post back to this thread so others know that there will be a walking group meeting at the same location/time.

Lighting: It will be dark at 6:00 am so we will most likely be running on roads and paths with overhead lighting. There is a park nearby that we can potentially run that may not have lighting, so you may want to bring a headlamp just in case. For safety, we will probably stick to the lit roads unless we feel very adventurous.

I will be arriving on Friday so may also potentially run on Saturday and Sunday, but likely not as early as 6 am. If you are interested in running either of those two days, let me know and maybe we can meet up.

Any questions between now and then, please post them.

See you at SWW!

-Wilkie

William Radigan

I promise not to wear my balaclava unless the temperature is less than 35 degF.

I realize that doing this may cause our running group to be mistaken for any number of criminal organizations and perhaps detained or arrested by Texas Rangers.  Unfortunately, that's just the best that I can do.

balaclava.gif

Jeremiah Davis

Hello all,

As a follow-up to Jim's note, I will help lead the sprinters group (with an R, not the L). I will be pacing in the 7:15 to 7:30 pace, monitored by Garmin.

If anyone is interested in running this pace, please let me know.

I am arriving Friday afternoon and will be running Saturday, coordinating with Jim to get the times. Sunday will be an early run, likely 5:30 AM as I have a 7:00 meeting. The rest of the week will be on Jim's schedule.

Please let me know if you are interested!!

Mark Reynolds

Just wanted to stick my head in and say Hello! I will be a first timer at SolidWorks World and had no idea about all of the sub groups; coffee, bacon and runners. I would love to join in on one morning  as I've been running in Kansas City where I'm lucky if it's above 20F.

William Radigan

Hi Mark!

Welcome to SWW!  One of the best parts of the conference is the opportunity to meet and interact with an enormous range of people from all over the world doing things so diverse that it's sometimes hard to remember that we all have SOLIDWORKS in common.  I believe that you'll quickly find a group of people doing work similar to yourself (whatever that might be), and the non-work-related sub-groups (in my opinion) are a good way to cross-pollinate and meet people that otherwise you might not have a chance to.  There is also a ton of synergy (sorry for the buzzword, but it's true) to be found when you discover that someone has already tackled a problem that you are currently faced with in a completely different, bizarre, and effective way.

This by the way, is the foundational principle of the coffeeclique.  "Sit down, relax, enjoy a drink, connect with someone new".

I look forward to meeting you in person!

Bill Briggs

I arrive on Thursday and will be running everyday except Wednesday.  I always look for events when I travel and there is a 5k on Saturday called the 5K Donut Dash located 2.5 miles from the convention center and a stair climb on Saturday as well located a half mile from the convention center (see more below on those below).

I am doing the stair climb on Saturday morning at 7:45am.

I am running ~14 on Sunday probably starting around 7am, will update when I know for sure and probably at a 8:30-9:30 pace.

I am doing speed work on Tuesday if anyone is interested in some shorter faster drills.  We would run the same distances, but at your own pace.  First one done just get's a longer rest is all.  I will be doing 6x400 with ~90 second rest intervals then a ~2:30 rest followed by a second set of 6x400 again with 90second intervals.  Its only 3 miles total however you will find it is a pretty intense workout.

Links:

Big D Climb I January 30, 2016 | Bank of America Plaza | Dallas, Texas | 70 Stories

Hypnotic Donut Dash | 5K and 1 Mile Run ~ January 30, 2016 ~ 8 am ~ Fairpark ~ Dallas, TexasHypnotic Donut Dash | 5K and…

Bill Briggs

A worker at the Hyatt who is a runner told me the Trinity Trail is not safe due to the prison there.

I am doing further investigation into that and other possible routes.

Ran today but not a great route and my hands were cold even though it was 40 degrees.

Bill Briggs

I am considering taking a cab to White Rock Lake on Sunday morning.

White Rock Lake | Dallas Parks, TX - Official Website

I have not ruled out the Trinity Trail, maybe I can get a look at it later today on the daylight. It gets ok reviews from some mountain bikers. It's a gravel trail with the option to run up top for city views or down in it to escape the city of its not flooded.

http://www.dallasparks.org/235/White-Rock-Lake

Mark Reynolds

Looking at the routes, the Katy Trail looks like a good route and close to downtown. I'm planning on getting a couple 5 milers in next week.

Bill Briggs

Concrete is hard on my shins, compression sleeves help, so I am always cautious about planning urban routes. I found some info on the Katy Trail that is encouraging.

In addition to its paved surface, Dallas's Katy Trail includes an adjacent soft-surface track for runners and walkers.

Jim Wilkinson

I did a recon run from the Omni today. It is about 1.2 miles straight to the Katy Trail (taking Lamar to Houston) and I think the roads will have light traffic at 6 am. The Katy Trail is cement for the first 0.3 miles but then has a rubber coated running section after that. So, if we do about 4 miles in the morning, at least we'll have 1 mile of softer footing.

I also attempted to run to the Trinity Levee trail and the area that you would normally get to it closest to the Omni is under construction (for a big new bridge) so I think the closest access would be to go to Dealey Plaza and then out Commerce St. I may attempt that tomorrow.

Sunday, I'm doing 10-11 miles at 6 am with a coworker at a slower 10-11 mile/min pace. If interested, meet us in the Omni lobby.

-Wilkie

Jim Wilkinson

I ran the Trinity Trail today. You can access it from Commerce St (run through Dealey Plaza, under the bridge, under some more bridges and up the slight hill). You get on right by the prison, but I don't see how that is dangerous unless their security is REALLY bad (the razor wire looked pretty secure to me).

But, it really isn't worth running unless you are going to run more than 4 miles and there are no lights so it would have to be during daylight. Any run on it would probably be an out and back and where I ran, parts were gravel and parts were cement (although you could run on the grass beside the cement). I think the Katy Trail is probably the better choice if running from the hotels near the convention center.

-Wilkie

Bill Briggs

Sorry, I got up, got ready and arrived at the Omni 15 minutes early and then realized I was 45 minutes late...

wednesdays are my day off so thanks for keeping this going and see you next year.