2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 15, 2007 4:29 PM by Zane Miller

.x_t and .igs file imports

Zane Miller
      Hi there,

I just got a new copy of the SolidWorks 2007 base package and I'mhaving some issues importing parasolid files.  I've tried toimport two different types of files and haven't been able to openeither of them.  When I look at them in Windows Explorer,Windows doesn't actually recognize either of them as SolidWorksfiles either (it hasn't assigned the appropriate app to open them). Here's the errors I've been getting.

When I try to open a .igs file, I get an error message thatreads:

"Unable to read IGES file.  File was truncated orcontains invalid data."

The only problem is, the guy sitting next to me is using SW2005 andcan open that file with no problem.

The .x_t file is a bit more straightforward.  Both of us getan error that reads:

"Cannot open XXXXX.x_t"

I assumed that since it's a type of file that is in the file typesdrop down field that SolidWorks could open it.  That and thevendor that sent us the file expected that it would work as well. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

--Zane

• .x_t and .igs file imports
          John Burrill
          Zane,
          why don't you post your parasolids and iges files and I'll see if I can help with this.
          My suspcion with the iges file is the version setting when opening it. Check your import options. I'd doubt that 2007 would drop support for a version, but it's possible.
          The step file might have been a bad export. You might want to check with your source on that.
          As for windows not associating those files with Solidworks: this is because those are nuetral file formats that don't belong to any one vendor and can be read by man different programs. You can chage the association if y ou want, by double-clicking the file and then choosing the Solidworks program type when Window presents you with a 'WTF?' dialog.
          John
          • .x_t and .igs file imports
            Zane Miller
            Thanks for the reply John.  Actually as it turns out, theproblem with the .igs file was a network permissions issue and youwere right that the .x_t file was just a bad export.

All probs taken care of.  Thanks again!