13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 21, 2015 8:34 AM by Eric Henderson

Beginner here with a few questions google won't answer..

Bart K.

Hi folks,

For my study(Automotive Engineering) i've used Inventor for the past two years to design and calculate stuff,

and now we're starting with Solidworks 2016. (so please note that i don't even have the slightest experience with it yet..)

My problem is that, as you may most probably know, a lot of things are different between these two CAD programs.

The most important and significant issue is the mouse controls, since inventor and solid use different controls.

Because i'm used to inventor i constantly keep rotating when i want to pan, and zooming when i want to rotate, etc. It's really frustrating..

As i understand it, solidworks itself does not provide an option to tweak these controls but there may be thirdparty add-ins who do.

This question has been asked and answered(negatively) before in previous years but they may be obsolete by now.

Another thing is the geometry lines. I'd rather have my model look professional than like a colouring picture, but solid appears to lack the option to disable these by default.

The last thing is that inventor gives the ability to set the dimensions of sketchlines and features on the fly while you create them.

I'm not sure whether solid has this function or not, but i can't find it and it'd be extremely useful and time saving.

I'd be grateful if you could help me with any of these issues.

Cheers

• Re: Beginner here with a few questions google won't answer..
          Eric Henderson

For the last one, try this in your system options.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

For the mouse, you can also use Mouse Gestures, which configurable.

You can reverse the mouse wheel zoom direction on the System Options, View panel.

Not exactly sure about your "coloring book" paragraph, but you can change some colors in Document Options, Model Display panel.

It's per document, so set what you like in your part & assembly templates.

The properties for sketch entities are displayed on their property manager panel as you create them (& when you select an existing one), perhaps it's here you can size entities without dimensioning separately.

I hope this helps somewhat, but I may not have understood your post.

Cheers,

Kevin

Glenn Schroeder

Bart K. wrote:

The most important and significant issue is the mouse controls, since inventor and solid use different controls.

Because i'm used to inventor i constantly keep rotating when i want to pan, and zooming when i want to rotate, etc. It's really frustrating..

If you use SolidWorks quite a bit, I can highly recommend getting a 3d mouse.  I have the Navigator (the hockey-puck looking one), and don't ever want to have to work without it.  They have two programmable buttons and are about $100.00.  There are fancier ones with more buttons, but this one works fine for me.  Other than that I can't help, except to wish you luck on re-programming your muscle memory.

Another thing is the geometry lines. I'd rather have my model look professional than like a colouring picture, but solid appears to lack the option to disable these by default.

See below.

The last thing is that inventor gives the ability to set the dimensions of sketchlines and features on the fly while you create them.

I'm not sure whether solid has this function or not, but i can't find it and it'd be extremely useful and time saving.

Answered by Eric above, and you're right.  It's a great feature.

Are you referring to the black outline on model edges (with on left and without on right below)?

If yes, those can easily be hidden.  Go to View > Display > and choose Shaded instead of Shaded with Edges.

Jim Steinmeyer

Ya, I suffered through a year and a half of Inventor once too. Thankfully that was three years ago and I have been able to blot most of it from my mind. My comparison would be that if SW approaches a problem from the right, Inventor will approach from the left. After a couple of days you will have retrained yourself with the mouse buttons.

As far as the geometry lines I am not sure what you are asking for but if you are talking about the lines in a drawing you can set the display of edges in the control panel.

Capture.PNG

The colors are optional and when modeling everything is created in the same color initially with the colors being added later. When creating a drawing the colors can be set for different layers and maybe that is what you are seeing. Check your layer settings just like back in AutoCAD and you can set your layers to default any color you desire, or keep everything on one layer.

Bart K.

I already was affraid that it wouldn't be possible to change the mouse controls...

The problem is that i use, and will have to keep using both inventor and solidworks.

I can't see why this extremely expensive and exensive software let's you alter a ton of options, except the most fundamental ones, especially since they vary among CAD programs. About the problem what i called geometry lines, those appear to be called shaded with/without edges. So that solves that part of the problem. Thanks for your help and time.