5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 1:57 PM by Charley Saint

Update sandbox vault workflow to new production updates

Paul Marsman

Have a sandbox vault set up and copied the entire configuration over for some testing.  Now have done a bit of updating in the production vault, and I would like to update the sandbox vault workflow to be a copy of this... but I can't delete the workflow because files exist in it and I can't just copy paste everything, drag and drop makes a (2) workflow, but none of my existing files are in that workflow.

HOW do you copy workflows from one vault to another when you've already done it once?

• Re: Update sandbox vault workflow to new production updates
          Charley Saint

Hey Paul,

Short answer is you can't. It's just not setup on the backend in a way that you could do that. I just tell myself it's a good excuse to document the changes then do it again...

Paul Marsman

Charlie,

That's what I thought, just asking in hopeful ignorance.  This really is not cool you know... the workflows are the same, but the settings of states/transitions is a LOT of information.  So the obvious follow-up question then for one who didn't document the changes in order to be able to do it again.... how do I get these workflows to match??  Do I literally need to completely destroy every file that has been in the workflow (the sandbox vault and our production vault are in their infancy so not much there) then delete the workflow then re-import a fresh copy?  What other options do I have?

Thanks,

Paul (newly appointed EPDM Admin)

Charley Saint

Well once it's imported you can copy/paste states and transitions from the (2) workflow into the original workflow to try to match them up, but there's not even a guarantee that the proper permissions were applied when you imported it. That's because the permissions aren't exported with the workflow, they're exported with the groups (usually they would be in the same export file). So it'll ask if you want to overwrite existing groups when it comes in, which you may or may not want to do. I typically don't because I don't trust it, but it may work just fine. Next time I want to test our disaster recovery procedures I may take a crack at it

The problem is everything is just a number in the database. Once you create something it gets an ID number and that's what matters everywhere in the database. When you export something it uses the names and leaves the ID's behind, so it really doesn't have a good way of telling what it's not supposed to touch and what it should merge in.

Deleting and re-importing might be a good option for you this time since you don't seem to be using them (I'm assuming you didn't mean it's an actual production vault just the one you'll use in production after go-live)

Paul Marsman

No, it would be our production go-live vault   but no legacy items have been imported or anything.  Really just a handful of parts/drawings/docs/etc that we have in there.  Got all the internal testing done and got to the point to start putting the rubber to the road and having more users trying to break it.

Ok, so with all that in mind, is there a way to just do a RESET on the vault configuration of the sandbox vault?  I think that would almost be easier with how much stuff is linked all over the place than doing these export/import options like you say.  The way I see it, it would almost be easier than doing double the work on updates when the files in the sandbox vault are really of no value and I could just say, ok make a whole new copy of my vault configuration and let me test "this" thing out.  Doing double the changes for every possible item just in the even that we really need to test something seems like not much value add.

Charley Saint

I reset my sandbox by restoring the production database and archives over the top of it, then fixing the vault name in the ArchiveServers and SystemInfo tables then turning off the trigger on the Projects table, renaming the vault name in row 1 of that table, then re-enabling the trigger. The documentation for that procedure is in Solution 08640 which is apparently VAR locked, so you may need to get the PDF from them.