4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2015 4:02 AM by Terry Cavanagh

pdm standard on SQL Standard?

Terry Cavanagh

Hi all,

has anyone tried installing PDM Standard on SQL Standard? I know I have been told it works on SQL Express but is there any reason it cant be setup SQL Standard as we are already have it?

• Re: pdm standard on SQL Standard?
          Jordan Lemley

SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard is officially only compatible with SQL Express, even if you have your own copy of SQL Standard. The installer will not let you install SOLIDWORKS PDM Standard on SQL Standard. It will give you a warning as shown below and prevent installation.

Express_message.png

Terry Cavanagh

Thanks Jordan,

the main concern I had was SQL Server Express has a 1 GB limit on the amount of RAM it can address and a maximum database size of 10 GB.

Is this going to be an issue 5 years down the road & force us to upgrade to PDM Pro?

Cheers

Terry

Jordan Lemley

Hi Terry,

You should probably have a conversation with your reseller to discuss your PDM options (Standard vs. Pro). The limitations are very dependent on your company (how many files you have, how frequently you change them, how many users are accessing the vault at a time and what information they are accessing, etc.) so a dialog with your reseller could help steer you in the right direction based on your existing and anticipated needs.

The good thing is that if you did need to upgrade to SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional, you wouldn't need to migrate your data (like you must moving from Workgroup PDM to Enterprise PDM) you would simply upgrade from SQL Express to SQL Standard and add a SOLIDWORKS PDM Professional serial number to your existing SNL.