2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 10:34 AM by Mark Dougall

FEA on jaw mechanism

Peter Fowden

Hello there,

I have to perform FEA on an agricultural bale handler as part of engineering coursework. Essentially it's a pinned structure with a hydraulic actuator which clamps a round bale in between two 'jaws.'

Could anyone point me in the direction of being able to do this by simulating the bale? So I could put a force and a reaction force through the actuator which clamped down onto something the same dimensions of the bale? I'm not concerned about the bale deflecting at all, I just want something to represent the reaction force of the bale on the jaws on its correct points of contact, as these point loads would be the worst case scenario.

Thanks in advance!

Peter.

• Re: FEA on jaw mechanism
          James Riddell

Have you tried making a cylinder roughly the size of a bale with a density such that it would weigh about the same?  Then 'clamp' it with a force to match the friction between bale and arm.  Apply gravity to the whole thing and fix the attach point(s).  You should probably take out the cylinders, apply appropriate forces on the mount points and add a remote load with the cylinder weight.

• Re: FEA on jaw mechanism
            Mark Dougall

What you could do is fix the area of the jaws that would be clamped round the bale at the correct distance apart. That way you can actually get a reaction force from the fixed area.