4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2007 1:07 PM by Al Larson

simple equation

Al Larson
      I have a sketch with 3 entities. a line, a tangent arc and another tangent line. I want the total length of all 3 entities to be 8.80".

"D2@Sketch2"+"D3@Sketch2"+"D1@Sketch2"=8.8

Why doesn't this equation work?
        • simple equation
          Dan Riffell
          I'm a little unclear on what you're asking.  Are you trying toset the distance between the endpoints of your sketch, or are youtrying to set the length of the line (as if the tangent arc wasstraightened out)?  Maybe posting a pic would help.
          • simple equation
            SolidAir
            You have to write the equation so that one of the dimensions is set as in:

"D1@Sketch2" = 8.8-"D2@Sketch2"-"D3@Sketch2".

SA
            • simple equation
              Al Larson
              total ordinate length of both straight lines + arc length to equal 8.8
              as shown in this image is 7.81313. I can adjust manually, but was curious as to how I could drive this with an equation. then I can adjust the 3" line to say 3.50. the arc with remain a .50" radius and the 4" line will adjust accordingly to maintain an overall length of 8.80". This is a layout for some rubber material to find where the end of the material will be if the supported or flat portion has more or less support surface.

Clear as mud? Maybe an equation isn't they way to approach this?
              • simple equation
                Al Larson
                Thanks SolidAir, that sunk in.