1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 6, 2016 12:36 PM by Kevin Bouwman

Dual 60" 4k Display Upgrade Questions

Kevin Bouwman

I am ready for a display upgrade to my cad workstation.  I would like to put two 55” or 60” 4k displays side by side at the center of a new u-shaped desk.  One side of the U would be a table for meeting with employees and prospects one-on-one or one-on-two.  (If we have more than three people we would move to the conference room)  It would work great to have one or both of these screens visible during these meetings.

I have a Homebuilt PC with a SuperMicro X7DWA-N motherboard, two quad core Xeon processors, a 1tb SSD drive, and 32gb of ram.  My current video card is a Quadro FX3700.  I am running Windows 7 x64 Ultimate with SW2016 SP1.0.  I am running Windows 10 on my laptop and tablet and like it so if I have to upgrade my desktop to Windows 10 that is OK.

I have used two monitors for over 10 years and often have a large SW assembly open, several large windows from our Sage 100 ERP accounting software, a number of vendor website pages, some excel sheets, SW Electrical Schematic, Outlook, and Skype.  There seems to come a phase near the end of each project where I find myself in this type of a workflow where I am bringing together source, cost, design, documentation, and accounting information for the project. I am tired of flipping from window to window to window over and over again.  I want enough screen area to lay this all out in front of me.  I would also use this at times on some of the plant layouts I work on where you just can never see enough detail at once.

Why 55” or 60” you ask?
      I want more information on the screen but I don’t want anything to be smaller.  I turned 51 this week and while my eyes are good for a 51-year-old they are not what they were when I was 25.  I would rather dig a little deeper in my pocket book than squint at the screens.  By my research the text and icons on a 60” 4k screen should be pretty close to the same size as the text and icons on my current 30” 2160x1600 screens.

My current plan is to make my own wall mount bracket for this that will let me hinge each monitor where they meet each other in the center; sort of like the covers of a ring binder.  This way I could always adjust the displays to be facing me directly and I could swing one or both flat to the wall when meeting with other.

My budget for a new video card and displays is between $3,000 and $4,000.

Questions:

1. Can I get a modern video card for this that will work with my current motherboard and a newer one should I upgrade that in a couple of years?
      2. If the video card has Display Ports (most 4k CAD cards seem to) what is the best way to connect them to 60” 4k TVs?
      3. Is it possible to leave my current video card installed with the new one and drive my old displays along with the new ones for even more display area?
      4. Is there a good way to power to 4k TVs and one DL-DVI display from one new card?
      5. Do I have to upgrade to Windows 10 to make the 4k displays work right?

Thanks in advance for any advice!