1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 15, 2015 6:34 AM by Bence Varga

How can I make molding simulation with thermosets (f.e. RIM techn.) in SWX Plastics?

Bence Varga

Good morning!

In the feature matrix of the SolidWorks Plastics product sheet the capability of simulating ractive injection molding process with thermosets is listed.

My question is, how can I set up thermoset materials in Plastics and how can I configure the process parameters of the RIM technology?

Is this modul available in Plastics at all? I couldn't find any information about simulating thermosets with SWX Plastics on the internet.

(We have 2015 SolidWorks Plastics Premium package..).

Best regards

Bence Varga

• Re: How can I make molding simulation with thermosets (f.e. RIM techn.) in SWX Plastics?
          Bence Varga

Hello Everyone,

finally I could find one predefined thermoset polymer in the material database of SWX Plastics.

It is a kind of silicone: the WACKER/SiliconesElastosil LR 3003/70.

When you go into the polymer's product manager with the edit icon, you can check on the "Viscosity" tab, whether it is a thermoplastic or a thermoset polymer.

If you choose a thermoset from the database the fill settings will be a little bit changed.

"Reactive Control Type" is displayed as a sign, that we are not facing with a single injection molding process in this case.

If we define the right filling properties we have a good chance to simulate a reactive molding process.

This way we will get extra results in the flow results list of our study.

Unfortunately usable thermoset polymer presets technically don't exist in the material database of SWx Plastics.

Of course, for me it is a question, how well can the curing model works in the case of a PUR f.e.?

I hope some discussions could start in this topic with your experiences.

B.R.

Bence