18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2018 7:59 AM by Paul Barton

Installation barfs on VBA 7.1

Jason Bardis

I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1.

I'm installing SolidWorks Student Edition Academic Year 2015-2016.

Individual installation.

Just SolidWorks & help files.

Per the installation manager's direction, I addressed the KB3072630 Microsoft update by entering 1 in RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy in Regedit.

SolidWorks barfed on the C++ portion at 1%.

Copied both installation discs to my hard drive because of the vc_redist issue. Downloaded from Microsoft both vc_redist files & replaced them.

Now the installation gets through the C++ portion of the installation.

BUT!

It consistently aborts when installing VBA 7.1, cancelling the installation & generating logs (attached).

This looks like the problem area:

"

09:28:38InfoStep940"** INSTALLATION SUCCEEDED **"
      09:28:41InfoStep910"{0: Installing} MSP: {1: C:\Users\Jason Bardis\Desktop\SW\PreReqs\VBA\vba71-kb2783832-x64.msp} (from {2: 00000-40000-1100-100}); command-line: {3: }

(ID {4: Microsoft_VBA_KB2783832}, lang {5: }, pcode {6: }, mode {7: 5}, upg = {8: }, f{9: 0}, costKB {10: 0})"

09:28:41ErrorStatus1560"***START DUMP OF WINDOWS INSTALLER DATA***"
      09:28:41ErrorStatus1580"***END DUMP OF WINDOWS INSTALLER DATA***"
      09:28:41ErrorStep1540"** Patch FAILED with code 1622"

"

But this page doesn't have any information code 1622: Installation FAQs | SOLIDWORKS

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Re: Installation barfs on VBA 7.1
          Richard Bremmer

Please remove the IM_logs.zip as it contain your schools SN.

Try installing VBA manually, that often gives better feedback.

Google returns it might be permission issue. Create a new windows user that is member of the admin group and try again.

Josef Kasik

Hi Jason, try to disable antivirus software, turn off User account control in Windows and install SolidWorks as administrator.

Hope it helps

Jason Bardis

Thanks for the feedback. No luck... :\

Here's a summary of settings & steps:

1 - Per the installation manager's direction, I addressed the KB3072630 Microsoft update by entering 1 in RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy in Regedit.

2 - Copied both installation discs to the hard drive because of the vc_redist issue. Downloaded from Microsoft both vc_redist files & replaced them.

3 - Turned off Microsoft Security Essentials real-time security scan. This is the only virus/protection software on this machine.

4 - Disabled user account control & restarted.

5 - This machine has only 1 user account, & that user is an admin.

6 - Uninstalled the only item shown today in Control Panel/Programs & Features: C++ (SW installation attempts would repair C++ at 1%. After removing C++, SW installation reinstalled C++ but still barfed on VBA 7.1).

7 - Tried to find/download VBA 7.1. Microsoft's site has a download for a security update for it, which I downloaded & installed successfully (per that installer).

8 - Shift-right-click on the setup.exe icon & Run As Administrator.

One other note. My first installation attempt, after addressing only items 1 & 2 above, did get to 59%, but it was hung up there for many many hours. I canceled that installation attempt. Canceling took a long time to process. After the cancellation had processed, the results showed that that VBA 7.1 didn't install. Also note that this first installation attempt included lots of the other default-checked related SW software. Subsequent installation attempts were pared down to just SW & Help.

Any more ideas? =[

Thanks,

-Jason

Richard Bremmer

vba should be in the prereqs folder that came with the solidworks installation files. Try to install that manually.

Jason Bardis

Thanks, Richard-

In PreReqa\VBA are 12 files:

vba71.msi

10 files named vba71_????.msi, where ???? is 4 numbers

vba71-kb2783832-x64.msp

I tried launching a few but didn't see any results.

I went here ( http://www.symantec.com/connect/downloads/msi-run-administrator-context-menu-vista ) to add Run as Administrator to my context-sensitive menu.

I selected vba71.msi & selected Run as Administrator.

No results.

Opened Task Manager & saw msiexec.exe using about 15-20% of the CPU.

I waited about 1 minute.

Then up popped a dialog with a red X:

"Windows Installer

Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable.

OK."

I didn't try any of the other 10 vba71_????.msi files.

I right-clicked on vba71-kb2783832-x64.msp. No Run as Administrator option. At the top of the context-sensitive menu is Apply, as .msp seems to represent a patch. I chose that, waited & watched msiexec.exe in the Task Manager for a minute, then the same dialog box error appeared.

A Google search on that error box text indicate that it usually pops up during an uninstallation, & that the solution is to use Task Manager to kill explorer.exe & then restart it with administrator privileges. https://support.software.dell.com/kb/134431

I tried that but got the same error boxes. I also retried the SW Installation Manager & got the same error when installing VBA 7.1.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

-Jason

Josef Kasik

Try to remove VBA 7.1 Firstly.

Please follow these steps:

1. Run Windows command line - cmd
                    2. type this command - msiexec.exe /x{90120064-0070-0000-0000-4000000FF1CE}
                    3. vba 7,1 will be uninstalled
                    4. install solidworks
                    5. installation manager should repair VBA 7,1
                    6. If installation finishes with errors, please attach screenshots and install logs.txt from the last installation attempt (without SN)

Hope this helps

Josef Kasik

you should install vba71_1033.msi

1033 is for english language settings and other general languages. + vba71-kb2783832-x64.msp (I think that it is "SP1")

Josef Kasik

You wrote that you use Win Home edition. This is unsupported OS, but I know people who use SolidWorks with these types of OS.

Please upload install logs, because of we talking about something unknown.

Josef Kasik

Another tip.

Try to move the  \PreReqs\VBA\ to C:\temp and disabling User Account Control. It should allowed the VBA installation to complete.

Then try to install SolidWorks

Andy Sanders

I have nothing to contribute.  I'm here to lol at using the word "barfs" in a post.

Senthil Kumar

Had a similar issue while installing SolidWorks2015  Sp04. The Windows 7 SP1 while installing VBA 7.1 fails with the error code 1622. I googled the error and it says

Error opening installation log file. Verify that the specified log file location exists and is writable.

Installed SolidWorks 2015 Sp0 from the DVD and then upgraded to SolidWorks 2015 Sp4

John Doe

I had the same VBA 7.1 problem when installing SOLIDWORKS 2015 x64 SP05.

Copying the whole installation folder to my system drive (i.e. to C:\SOLIDWORKS 2015 x64 SP05) and running the installation from there solved my problem. I only had the error when starting the installation from a secondary drive or from the network.

Paul Barton

Ditto problem (hanging VBA 7.1 install) with 2017 sp5 install from network drive on Win7Pro SP1 64bit.  Currently installed 2016 sp3.  Copied 11 GB install files to E: ... same problem.  Copied vba71-kb2783832-x64a.msp and vba71.msi to C:\Microsoft_VBA_KB2783832 (or some such), and installed VBA 7.1 separately just fine.  Rest of install from non-C:\ worked a treat.

Glad Senthil Kumar actually got an error code instead of a multi-day slow "progress" bar