5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2015 1:28 PM by Tony Vitale

PC Building Advice

Nealesh U.

Hi,

I hope this is the right section to post this question in:

I'd like to say thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Basically, I am looking to build my first PC.

The main program I plan to use is Solidworks. I'd also want to be able to use: Matlab though for computational functions.

I'm not into gaming. This is purely meant to be a work-machine, able to render reasonably quickly.

I asked a friend to help me source parts, but we don't know what we're doing.

Any comments or revisions would be appreciated. I have a budget of £1800, and am looking for advice to be able to build a computer that can handle the demands of Solidworks.

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K 4.0Ghz Quad-Core processor (£323.99 Aria PC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£24.95 Novatech)

Motherboard: Asus Z170-PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£123.47 Dabs)

GPU: AMD Firepro W7000 Graphics Card - 4Gb (£551.64 Scan)

RAM: Corsair Vengaeance LPX 32Gb (4x8Gb) DDR4-2400 Memory (£145.99 Amazon)

Hard Drive: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250Gb 2.5" SSD (£58.78 Amazon)

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£50.34 Aria PC)

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case (£73.99 Amazon)

Power Supply: Seasonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£86.94 CCL Computers)

Total: £1440.09

• Re: PC Building Advice
          Bjorn Hulman

Hi Nealesh,

looks like a sound line-up. What particular demands of SolidWorks are you likely to encounter the most? Modelling complex geometry (surfacing)? Large Assemblies? Simulation? Rendering?

Some of these demands prefer fewer but faster cores as the don't multi-thread well. Others do.

Jeff Holliday

I wish you the best of luck! I would not have the courage or knowledge to attempt to build a workstation-grade system for my first try.

While not advanced at system-building, I think most components seem pretty well thought out. Bjorn's question regarding the demands is very important in planning the success.

Matthew Menard

You may want to look into a M.2 or PCIe SSD instead of SATAIII.  I believe there is a fairly big performance difference between the two interfaces.  Any SSD is going to be a vast improvement over a traditional hard disk, but the PCIe interface may be more future proof.  Not sure how mainstream they are yet, so I wouldn't worry if you don't go for one.  Just an additional consideration, everything else seems to be great.  Plus, in the end, you can upgrade down the road if you want.

Greg Anderson

March 2014 - Suggested Computer Specs

Charles Culp march 3, 2014 Suggested computer specs. Great article. I have not found one for this year.

I built three of these computers for work over a one and a half years ago... and they are still the nicest computers here.

Tony Vitale

I have built a computer quite similar,. same processor, mobo, cooler, ram (although only 16gb)

Video card i went with Nvidia quadro K1200

Hard drive i did Samsung 850 EVO-Series M.2 form factor SATAIII

Machine screams! love it. Loads up solidworks in like 4.5-5 seconds