13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2016 9:29 AM by Jim Steinmeyer

Breaking Leader Lines - Again

John Wayman

This morning, a colleague experienced a new twist on the leader line-breaking saga:

He ticked the requisite box to ask SW to break a leader line and clicked the green tick.

No break appeared, so he selected the dimension again - there was no tick in the 'Break Leader Lines' box.

This sequence of events was repeated several times until he finally gave up in disgust and said I (the checker) would just have to live without the break!

Any suggestions as to why this could be occurring?

SW2014, SP5

Cheers,

John

• Re: Breaking Leader Lines - Again
          Glenn Schroeder

John,

When I have odd things happen, such as options disappearing from PropertyManagers, it's almost always a sign that it's time to re-boot (and not just shut SW down and reopen it, but a full computer re-start).  Has your colleague tried that?

Jim Steinmeyer

You mean it does work sometimes? I have never been able to get it to work for me.

Capture.PNG

And yes, here I will put the dim inside where it belongs, I just pulled it out for demonstration.

Glenn Schroeder

Jim,

Your screenshot is of the settings in your Document Properties, but they still won't break automatically.  You have to highlight the dimension in the drawing and click the box to break them.  And if you already know this but they still don't work I apologize.

Jim Steinmeyer

Thank you Glenn. I guess I was unclear from the other posts I had read and thought unchecking the box would (should) make them work automatically. Yes I have seen the workaround to filter dims, select, and then go to the leaders drop down. It will have to do until after SW gets the new UI issues fixed.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm not sure what you mean by "the workaround to filter dims, select, and then go to the leaders drop down".  You don't have to filter anything.  Just select the dimension, click the Leaders tab in it's PropertyManager, and check the box.  And that's just how it works.  I wouldn't consider it a workaround.

There have been a few discussions here about having dimension lines break automatically, but I don't know if it will ever happen.  To me one big question is "When two dimension lines cross how would the software know which one to break?"  I figure around 80% of the time it wouldn't break the one I want broken, and then I'd have to change it (assuming I was given the option).  That's the reason I have automatic jog turned off for Ordinate Dimensions.  It seemed like the software never jogged the one I wanted jogged.  The only way I'd personally want dimension lines to break automatically is if there was a simple toggle to switch which one was broken.  And of course there should be an option in Document Properties to have them not break automatically.  I don't think it should be universal.

Anyway, that's my 2¢ worth (and it might be overpriced).