6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2015 2:46 PM by Kevin Chandler

hello

Ahmed Moahmed

hello every one , i'm a beginner so i want to learn get some models in 2d and 3d to practice on redrawing them .

• Re: hello
          Chris Saller

Hello. Good.

Zac Evans

Welcome! My best advice is to get a pair of callipers if you don't have some already, then get an every day item like a pencil, and model that in Solidworks, then try different ways to make it. There are tons of different ways to make the same thing in Solidworks, it's good practice to know which way would then be best for each part made.

Vladimir Urazhdin

There are ton of different models professionally created in SW and available for download.

Download, research, try to build yourself the same or similar staff, (may be different ways), and be creative!

Anurag Shukla

Hello

you can also have a look at 3D ContentCentral  to find out some cool models of your interest, download them, study them and try to remodel them.

Regards,

Anurag

Martin MacDonald

If you are a beginner, SW already comes with inbuilt tutorials on different subjects. Go to Help > Tutorials to activate them. That might be a good place to start if you are brand new to the software.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Already modeled files are best used to:

1) Save modeling time (like for common component or a manufacturer's model) where it's what you need (or just needs a few tweaks to make it so).

2) To learn from someone's history tree (assuming it hasn't been purged) on how to combine SW's abilities (& yours) to make a complex part that you must later modify (like how to model the wire wrapped around the ferric core for choke).

We must first learn the alphabet before we form our words and after that, our words can be formed into sentences.

3) A lot of freebie models that look like they'd be cool to learn from, are in fact only available as solid files (STEP, IGES, SAT) and once imported have no history from which to learn.

And though we've never met, I assume that you (like I was in my greener state) aren't in a position to work with imported geometry.

So initially, I'd suggest starting with the included tutorials SolidWorks provides and which are already installed.

The tutorials are accessed from the Help menu and are categorized so you can pick a topic and progress at the pace and direction suited to you.

Step-by-step instructions are provided, but not necessarily with explanations as to why the steps are what they are.

But, as stated above, SW has much to offer and although it can appear daunting when you first approach, just remember to focus only your current scope and ignore nearly everything else, AKA, take little bites,

Also, perform the tutorial exactly as outlined and then before you move on to another topic, repeat the tutorial except save your work under another (yet similar) file name and alter some of the values and see what happens. And the compare the similar tutorials to see the affects of your experimentation.

Repeat each tutorial often and, for the time being, avoid those you feel are beyond current abilities (until you are ready for them).

Pick up the terms SW uses.

Review the options in every property manager that you encounter, although not necessarily choosing or changing options.

In the upper right corner of every property manager is the "?" icon. Click with the manager active and SW Help will load that topic.

Review the help topic in conjunction with the SW screen, again, without necessarily choosing or changing options.

In SW Help, there's a Favorites tab (this is a function of Windows, not SW). Click it and Add the current topic for easier recall.

You can save as many as you wish.

If you need assistance from the forum again, you'll be a better conversant and receive better responses.

Along this line, please review the forums posting rules, regs, FAQs, suggestions, etc.

Your post's heading is the main (& usually the only) link people will see, so be more descriptive than "hello" (place your salutations at the beginning of your post's message) and you'll get a quick turnaround on your post.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin