1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 8:55 AM by John Stoltzfus

Assembly Models: Checklist for Checking?

Ben Marsden

So I tend to try and structure my work so that I don't repeat mistakes (that I never make) but in this case I have been asked to check over someone's assembly model and want to be thorough. I will be including the internal parts check. I also plan to keep hold of this as a checklist against some of my own bits.

I know that the Design Checker is there to help but can't get it to work on a stand alone Assembly model for some reason, and quite frankly, I'm not sure it covers all the finesse of doing it manually.

I would like some input if you people think there's some real important stuff to add, or input on effective use of the design checker on assemblies.

Here's what I plan to check/report back on:

-Interference Detection (this could take some time, with large assemblies and the fact that fixings are usually modelled as interferences)

-Clearance Detection (not too familiar with this but good to define minimum clearances based on expected positional tolerances)

-Material Check (make sure all parts have materials assigned, this is where the design checker would help if i could work it at the assembly level)

-Fully Defined Sketches (easy visual check in the tree)

-Fully Constrained Parts (easy visual check in the tree - could be a pain with free rotation parts like fasteners)

-Additional Features (general look into functionality and location of features)

-Manufacturability Sense Check

-Standard Sizes (sheet stock / bar sizes, although most of my stuff is machined for geometric tolerancing reasons)

-Round numbers (or 1 decimal place) where possible- in metric measurements for me

What do you guys think? Have you got your own to share? Or do you guys not need lists because you're all super awesome?

• Re: Assembly Models: Checklist for Checking?
          John Stoltzfus

gm Ben-

I will also need to get a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) together as well. For me to do that here I need to establish general points as well and at what level do I need to start, novice, amateur/apprentice or mid to long term user. A SOP is great and it is nice to have standards, however I struggle with the starting level and will probably go with a mid level user as the starting base. At least they know the basics, planes, sketches, and complex models and assemblies. Training a new employee that has limited SW usage and limited training will cost you tons of training time and a lot of do-over models.  

I look at it this way,

1.  "Proper" new guy/girl training; does the new employee have any clue or are they competent in SW, otherwise you would need to re-write the entire help book in your SOP.

2.  Understanding the "Design" intent which should be determined by the Design Supervisor, prior to the start of any new project.

3.  If you have a large Main Assembly, break it out to different Sub-Assemblies and do the interference detection in the sub-assembly level and if you need to run it in the main assembly, you can choose 2 sub assemblies and check the interference between those two.

4.  Clearance Detection would be nice, not sure how I would do that...

5.  Material check should be very easy if you would use the Assembly Visualization tool, you would need to show one column as material.

6.  Fully constrained sketches and parts are like you mentioned

7.  Additional features, this is a direct result of "1." above, probably the most difficult in your list, as most people have there own way to do things and with SW you're not stuck doing it one way..

8.  Same as "7."

9.  Here we would have our purchasing and our manufacturing work order/router being crossed checked directly from the drawing, I would keep it the same, let the purchasing dept check the stock size etc..

10. Round numbers are controlled by the SW options, you can do whatever you want there..

For adders...

Start every project with a "Main Sketch Part/Skeleton Sketch" and develop your entire model off of that part, that part needs to be in the main assembly and every sub-assembly and all the parts are controlled from that Sketch Part, including depths of extrudes and cuts.  This allows for different people to work on different sub-assemblies at the same time, but still controlling the outcome of the final model/design..

Later,

John