4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2015 4:23 PM by Guillaume Raby

Multibody part Pattern problem

Guillaume Raby

Good day everyone,

I made stair as a multibody part, then I inserted a stair tread as a part (so insert part in a part). I could mate the first tread properly, but then I used Linear pattern and it patterns from the original insertion point. Am I doing something wrong?

• Re: Multibody part Pattern problem
          Glenn Schroeder

Without the file my first thought is that you may have had "Features and Faces" selected when patterning instead of "Bodies".  That can cause some odd issues.  See #21 here for more information.

Guillaume Raby

I usually don't Pattern features, I know it creates problems. I just checked to be sure and I Patterned the bodies.

I could get my tread to be at the right place using an additional "Body-Move/Copy" feature. I feel that this is a temporary solution, it should work straight from "Insert part", right?

Glenn Schroeder

Guillaume,

Yes, if you had Bodies to pattern selected it should work without jumping through hoops.  Have you tried a Ctrl+Q rebuild?

I also have occasional peculiarities with inserting a Part into a Part, which is one reason I rarely do so.  Do you mind if I ask why you're doing this as one Part and not an Assembly?  Unless there is a specific reason not to I believe you'll be happier with the result.

Guillaume Raby

There is no real specific reason for me to insert part in a part. It limits the amount of sub-assemblies and it's pretty much a personal choice. I never really explored the "insert part in a part" before and I run into that kind of issues, I guess I will switch back to assemblies.

Thanks for your time, if I'm not the only one having peculiarities then I can imagine I wasn't using the best method for that.