12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 10:45 AM by Glenn Schroeder

"Group" functionality in drawings

Dan Frey

Hello,

I recently discovered the "Group" command in drawings while attempting to figure out different ways of attaching revision symbols to other drawing elements, like balloons or dimensions. SolidWorks users at my company have not been in the habit of locking the view focus/sheet focus before inserting revision symbols, so whenever a view is moved revision symbols often end up floating in the middle of nowhere. The Group command is a helpful way to combat this, but I am running into some issues with it, namely:

- It doesn't look like the Group command is available to attach a revision symbol to an ordinate dimension. Am I missing something here? It works great with stick dimensions.

- I understand that the Group command is only available when both the revision symbol and the balloon or dimension are already attached to the same view. I know how to change the view that an existing revision symbol is attached to, but is there any shorter workaround for this?

Ideally, I would love to be able to "group" a revision symbol with a balloon or dimension regardless of what view SolidWorks thinks the revision symbol is tied to. This would save a step for new drawings as well as existing ones, since I could just insert the revision symbols without worrying about locking the view/sheet focus and then group them with the balloons/dimensions I want.

Thanks!

• Re: "Group" functionality in drawings
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Dan,

I use the Group feature often myself, but in my case it's usually linking a note to a dimension or balloon.  I don't know about Grouping with an ordinate dimension (I don't remember if I've ever tried), but I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to get around the need to have the items grouped belonging to the same drawing view.  If you'll think about it I think you'll agree that it couldn't work, since when you move a drawing view all attached annotations move with it.  If you tried to Group annotations from different drawing views, and then moved one drawing view, how would the software handle that?

Dan Frey

Hi Glenn,

Thanks for your reply. You're right about the conflict between the Group feature and drawing view ties. I guess I was thinking of an override, like "if I Group a revision symbol with something that is currently tied to a different drawing view, the revision symbol automatically becomes tied to that same view." I think I may be trying/hoping to use the Group functionality for more than what it is intended to do.

The apparent inability to Group with an ordinate dimension seems strange though. If it is intended to work (and does perfectly) with stick dimensions, why not ordinates?

Glenn Schroeder

I just tried to Group a note with an ordinate dimension just for curiosity.  When I'd move the ordinate dimensions by clicking and dragging on the specific dimension that was grouped with the note, then the note would move with it.  However, when I'd click and drag on another dimension, of course the grouped one moved with it, along with all the others from the ordinate group, but the note didn't.  And I could move the note without the dimension following it.  So you're right, apparently grouping doesn't work very well with ordinate dimensions.

Dan Frey

Hi Glenn,

How are you even getting the note and ordinate dimension to Group at all? What I mean when I say "it doesn't work," is that I don't even see the option to Group a revision symbol (or note) with an ordinate dimension.

I have a drawing view with four items tied to it:

1. An ordinate dimension

2. A stick dimension

3. A revision symbol

4. A note

When I select the following combinations of items, I am observing the following availability of the Group command:

1 and 3: not available (see image)

1 and 4: not available

2 and 3: available

2 and 4: available

Your post seems to suggest that the behavior you are seeing is different than that. Could there be some document or system setting I need to tweak?

What version of SW are you using? I'm on SW2015 SP5.

Thanks again.

groups.png

Glenn Schroeder

Dan F. wrote:

Hi Glenn,

How are you even getting the note and ordinate dimension to Group at all? What I mean when I say "it doesn't work," is that I don't even see the option to Group a revision symbol (or note) with an ordinate dimension.

I don't get the option in the right-click menu either.  I used the Group icon from the Align toolbar.

Dan Frey

Hi Glenn,

Thanks, I hadn't thought of or tried the toolbar. Using the toolbar, I am able to Group the ordinate with the revision symbol and observe the behaviors you discussed in your above post. I guess that answers my question!

Interestingly enough, I tried the right-click menu again for the two items in the image above and suddenly the option is available. But if I try to Group the zero of the ordinate and the revision symbol, the option still isn't available. Very strange.

Dan Frey

Okay, never mind the last bit. I figured out that if I break the alignment of the ordinate (right-click -> "Break Alignment") the Group command becomes available from the right-click menu. Then if I re-align the ordinate (right-click -> Display Options -> Align Ordinate) the Group command becomes unavailable. Seems a little buggy, but that's the general rule.

I am good to go. Thanks again!

John Wayman

As a variation on the original question, how can I group a note and a weld symbol together?

For example, I want to show a weld symbol and associate a note 'TYP' to that symbol. Is that possible?

SW2014, SP5

Cheers,

John