7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2015 8:19 AM by Alin Vargatu

copying complex surfaces

Michael Holmes

I often have to copy large surfaces (exterior surface of body panels) which I do by 'surface offset' value 0. There can be 2000 faces to copy and currently I copy these by selecting them individually. No doubt this seems a silly question, but is there an easier way to do this (eg. I am told that Catia has a 'select tangent faces' function - I can't find anything similar (SolidWorks 2015)

• Re: copying complex surfaces
          Mike Price

Hi Michael,

I don't think it is a silly question.

Are there internal features on the solid that you wouldn't want copied during your external surface copy?

Roland Schwarz

Untrim and Knit both can work for this.

Mark Biasotti

Hi Michael,

The bigger question is why are you copying 2000 faces? What are you trying to achieve?

M

Lenny Bucholz

Mark Biasotti wrote:

Hi Michael,

The bigger question is why are you copying 2000 faces? What are you trying to achieve?

M

Sounds like you should using multiple bodies, copy the whole body then cut away what you don't need from the copy and if you need a surface then delete the faces you do not want ....

Bam surface body.

SW works fast with solid bodies.

Alin Vargatu

Michael Holmes wrote:

I am told that Catia has a 'select tangent faces' function - I can't find anything similar (SolidWorks 2015)

Right Click on a face and if you see Select Tangency as a menu item, you are in-luck. Otherwise the face you selected is not tangent to any adjacent faces.

That being said, I am looking forward to reading your answer to Mark's question.

Michael Holmes

Hi Alan - that works perfectly, thanks. Sorry for the delay in replying - I've been away for a few days.

I'm not familiar with how forums work but I presume the others who responded will also see this, so please let me know if it's considered rude not to reply to everyone individually. The reason I need to copy surfaces is: customers send us files of parts they need making in carbonfibre, we have to design tooling to make the parts so need to copy and modify the  outside surface. It should amuse everyone that before being made aware of the select tangent feature I have copied individual faces (up to 2000).

Thank you all for your help

Alin Vargatu

Thanks for the explanation, Michael.

Should you encounter a model that does not have all outside faces tangent to their neighbours, please be aware that SOLIDWORKS has specialized tools for separating groups of faces. For example, one of the tools acts as a pair of scissors And you just snip-snip at the edges in order to isolate groups of faces.