13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 10:54 AM by Todd Blacksher

How to adjust angle of a part?

Mark A.

I have a horizontal pipe and want to mate it with the "adjustable angle" tee to the right while keeping the pipe horizontal. How do I adjust the angle of the part so that the pipe stays horizontal?

• Re: How to adjust angle of a part?
          Deepak Gupta

Mate the Tee to the pipe and add parallel, angle, etc. mate to pipe to keep it horizontal. And keep the tee rotating free while it is mated with the pipe.

Mark A.

Hello Deepak,

Thank you very much. However, it seems like I am unable to access the parallel mate (I have attached a screenshot below). How should I proceed? Thank you again

Mark A.

Also, it still does not let me adjust the angle of the tee. How does this work?

Todd Blacksher

Mark,

Sorry about the delay, there are several things going on here -

To make your tubing horizontal, I would recommend mating one of the planes of the part parallel to a plane in the assembly.

(Presumably the "top" plane in the assembly.)

Mating with planes is a much more robust method of assembly mating.

With regard to the tee, I believe that you are actually going to need to edit the part to change it to the angle that you need.

(You may want to make a copy of the part before doing this so that you don't cause issues if the part is used elsewhere.)

If the tee was an assembly, you would be able to rotate it into position, but it is a single part, so there is no movement.

(You might be able to make it a multi-body part to get the desired results.)

todd

Todd Blacksher

Mark,

If the adjustable angle is an assembly, you can just make it "flexible" in the top level assembly, (you will want to suppress any rotational mates at the sub-assembly level.)

If the adjustable angle is a part, you will need to edit the part to get the angle to match that of the horizontal pipe (this will effect any assemblies that use this particular part.)

Hopefully it is an assembly - it makes things like this a lot easier.

todd

David Kulcinski

If the "T" is an assembly, make it flexible so that it is able to move in the larger assembly.

Hope this helps,

David

Todd Blacksher

Mark,

I just downloaded the file for the tee - you are in luck, they did it as a multi-body!

Open up the part, go to "Sketch10" - this sets the angle of the tee.

(You will need to calculate the angle in the assembly, and then get into the part and make the change.)

It works pretty well, I've moved it around quite a bit!

todd

Mark A.

Hi Todd,

I cannot thank you enough for helping me out with my design. I just have one more quick question: when I try to mirror the tee and its angle, it does not align with the other tee in a parallel manner. Here is a picture:

I hope I am not taking up too much of your time, and I am very thankful for your help, but do you know how I should proceed? Thank you again!

Todd Blacksher

Mark,

Sorry about the delay -

There are a couple ways to do this

- When you mirror the part, there should be about 4 different options for how the part gets mirrored - I usually toggle through these with the preview on to see if anything is what I need.

- If this does not give you the desired results, I would recommend just copying the part so that you can "spin" it around and mate it to the other side.

The angled tubes look symmetrical, so spinning the tee around should line it up with the horizontal tube.

(One of my favorite shortcuts - hold down the Ctrl Key, click/drag on the part that you want to copy.)

I'm thinking one of the options under "mirror" should give you the results you are looking for.

todd

Erik Bilello

Mark,

In addition to what Todd suggests, if the Tee is a multi-bodied part, use the Move/Copy... feature.  Use the Rotate option and make a configurations for as many angles as you need. I've done that with parts like that in the past.  I looked but couldn't find an example I'd saved anywhere.

If you want to be able to dynamically move the part in the assembly you will probably need to convert the part (if it is multi-bodied) to an assembly with the Save Bodies... feature.

Mark A.

Alright thank you all so much for the assistance! It is greatly appreciated and I wish you all the best of luck with your own drawings!