9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2015 7:14 PM by Kevin Chandler

Dimension Leader Lines won't break

John Wayman

I think I have tried every available combination of options, but maybe there is one I have missed:

Capture.PNG

I can't get the leader line for the 40 dimension to break where it crosses the 20 dimension.

SW2014, SP5.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers,

John

• Re: Dimension Leader Lines won't break
          Mark Wood

Swap the 20 and 40 positions.

Tom dunn

No, don't swap the 20 and 40 positions, They are dimensioned in the correct location.

dim.JPG

Mark Kaiser

Is the gap set large enough it will show around the arrow?

I used to have to hit the checkbox on/off to get mine to break sometimes, seems like it depended on the order of when I put the dimensions in.

John Wayman

Mark,

I have tried various gap sizes to no avail.

When I highlight the offending dimension, no break shows up in the leader lines. In those dimensions where a break is seen, the break is highlighted by means of two little blue squares, when the dimension is selected.

It does seem to be one of those random things that make us all love Solidworks so unconditionally.

I wish they would fix it.

As I have said before, when I made the move from Pro/E to SW, one of the things (perhaps the only thing) I was looking forward to was a better detailing tool. Sadly, I think it is just as awful as the Pro/E detailing tool.

I am a confirmed 3D modeller, but I do look at Autocad and wonder why we couldn't have something like that to make our drawings.

The 3D modelling software developers seem to cling stubbornly to the idea that detailing is not important enough to develop, because we will all be using MBD imminently. That has been the case since 1994, when I first started using 3D CAD!

Never mind, we will just have to put up with being unable to make a decent drawing.

John

Steve Rauenbuehler

John -

The work-around I use when I can't get an extension line to break where I want....

Drag the extension line handle (the little green square) to a point past the interfering other dimension arrowhead - and then just draw in a line and constrain as necessary.

A bit of a pain, I know, but, for me at least, it doesn't happen often enough to cause a major rash.....

Jody Holm

"The 3D modelling software developers seem to cling stubbornly to the idea that detailing is not important enough to develop, because we will all be using MBD imminently. That has been the case since 1994, when I first started using 3D CAD."

I couldn't agree with you more. Those of us who take pride in our drawings and understand that it is our job to translate Ideas from our minds to paper for all to see, are the ones with most frustration. When I compare a drawing that was made on a drawing board, which I have done hundreds, to a drawing that was done with 3D cad software, I can immediately see the drafting clarity of the hand made drawing is far better.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Search SW Help for Dimension Leaders PropertyManager.

Scroll down the help page to the section on "Break Lines".

The setting is in Document Properties for dimensions: "Break dimension extension/leader lines".

Read both of these Help topics.

Also, depending on your SQ vintage, this may not be available. I'm thinking it's a recent addition.

Cheers,

Kevin