11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2015 12:44 PM by Joseph Palczewski

Offset surfaces

Jeff Hendrickson

I have a part from a vendor and I have offset the surfaces I need to create a nest.  My nest is created and is now a solid.  I would like to move the part in and out of the nest but the nest rebuilds with errors when I do.  It seems to be related to the original offset surfaces that I used.  Is there a way to make the now solid nest stand alone and not be influenced by the part being repositioned?

• Re: Offset surfaces
          Paul Salvador

Move/Copy Body...

move-copy-body.png

Jeff Hendrickson

I'm not sure if I described it properly.  I built my "nest" by offsetting surfaces from the "part".  If I were to remove the part from the drawing, my nest goes all haywire.  If I even move the part from its original position, my nest goes all haywire.

I need to be able to move the part out of the nest and maybe move the nest to reposition it on the tabletop.  They seem to be linked together somehow.

JOHN GEORGE

Jeff,

Have you tried using configuration and then creating an assembly.

You can move and orient parts in assembly

Jeff Hendrickson

I am very new to SW.  I'm not familiar with what you are suggesting.  Could you provide a brief explanation?

JOHN GEORGE

I would suggest to either post your part or few pictures showing the problem.

If you can explain the final result you are looking for.., then someone can recommand a better solution

Jeff Hendrickson

The green part is the nest.  It was created using offset surfacing from the part.  All surfaces were knitted and converted to a solid.  When I move the part up out of the nest, the rebuilding process causes the nest to distort.

Nest1.jpg

Nest2.jpg

Jody Byram

That behavior is correct.

Solid works "remembers" all the steps used to create a part, so that one can go back make adjustments (if lucky) without having to repeat everything again.  When you move the part, solid works recreates all the steps afterwards with the part in the new location.  This is handy if you need to make a small adjustment, like moving the part slightly to make room for a mounting bolt hole in the nest. Make the move and *Bang* everything moves with it...done.  If the move is a large one that creates or destroys edges or faces, then the move will most likely not work as expected, and some cleanup will be needed, which is what your figure shows.

If you need to leave the nest alone, and show the part itself in a new location (like in assembly or operating instructions, advertising brochures etc)....

Hide the part used to create the nest. (right click in the feature tree and select "hide")  The nest stays as-is, and if adjustments are needed, you can show it again.

Make an assembly from this part (if it isn't an assembly already) file -> make assembly from part

Then add another instance of the part, and position wherever you like.nest part.GIF

Jeff Hendrickson

Hi Jody,

Thank you for your time.  I tried what you suggested and it appears to do what I need it to do.  It just seems odd that the nest cannot live on its own without the part being there, even if it is hidden.

Jeff

Dwight Livingston

Jeff

You might consider using an "insert part" feature in your nest part file, without using an assembly file. This is the way I work. I insert the part file of an object as the first feature, start building the nest, then delete the object body farther down the tree, when I do not need it anymore. I am not saying this is always better, but maybe it will work for you.

Dwight

Jody Byram

Hide the part that you used to create the nest, and add another one to use for exploded assembly drawing

Joseph Palczewski

Right click on the nest in the tree, click on 'List External Refs...'

Click break all.

Your nest is no longer in relation to the part.