6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 8:01 PM by Mike Pogue

where to put ssd to improve pathetic solidworks performance

Ed Galicki

I have 3.9mhz I7 - 64 bit W7 - 32 gb 2400 ram - on an assembly it takes solidworks about 20 minutes to set a mate of a washer on a hole - and 2 of these are needed -

Solidworks only pushes the CPU to only 8 or 9% - when a test program pushed all 12 cores to 100%. I am considering trying a 1 tb ssd but I have OS on C:  - Solidworks and E: and drawing files on F:  - so adding SSD to which would improve 'performance' - if you can call it that since it is so pathetic I won't be able to finish my assembly this century -

The lack of Solidworks' ability to push the CPU seems to be more of the problem than disk access but I'm willing to try almost anything - since the customer insists on Solidworks - which I thought was only 5 or 6 times slower than a real CAD program but now turns out to be about a thousand times slower.

• Re: where to put ssd to improve pathetic solidworks performance
          Alin Vargatu

Use the SSD as the location for the working files.

Let us know if you would accept any help in troubleshooting the slowdowns and finding solutions to improve the speed of working with your assembly.

Bernie Daraz

Do you actually have three different hard drives in your PC? Or are you describing the partitioning of a single drive? I would suggest the SSD become the OS and Programs drive. Your working files should or could be on a separate disk. If you are accessing your working files over a wired network you can expect slow responses. I wouldn't consider using SW on wireless network.

Secondly, do you use sub-assemblies?

Mike Pogue

The SSD should be your OS directory, and your working directory to get the most benefit.

An SSD will not speed up the process of attaching a mate, unless the program has gone out of core memory. The SSD only helps with Read/Write operations.  But, if you've really used 32GB of RAM, your assembly is too big. If your assembly consumes more than 32GB of RAM, SolidWorks is the wrong tool--you need NX, or Catia or some similar.

SolidWorks is not using all of your processing power to 9%. It's pushing 1 core out of 12 to 100% and using a second core for minor housekeeping tasks. The reason it isn't  engaging the other cores is (probably, I'm not a programmer) that the task of attaching a mate cannot be parallelized. Certain tasks can be readily parallelized, such as searching exabytes of astronomical data for designated patterns, or solving certain linear algebra problems. Other tasks, such as rebuilding a SW assembly in order, may not be readily parallelized. It is very typical for programs to seize up while leaving multiple cores untouched, because there is just nothing for the other cores to do.

If it really takes 20 minutes to attach one mate, you have done something wrong or the assembly is just too big for SolidWorks. This forum is riddled with threads to help you figure out what you might do differently. If you are able to post the assembly somewhere people can download it, I'm sure we can help speed it up.