24 Replies Latest reply on Dec 23, 2015 1:49 PM by Paul Salvador

How can I draw this?

Jsadjs Dhasdhasdh

Drawing.png

This has to be in first angle projection. I have a lot of questions regarding this drawing.

• Which Plane do I need to chose
      • What are those dashed lines
      • Do those dashed lines represent the inner part of the drawing or outer?
      • On the curved surface I am pretty sure I need to create a sketched fillet but how do I create the axis of revolution?
      • What are those double dashed lines?
      • Do I need to use a revolved extrude in the end?
      • How do I make this 10 diameter pipe and connect it with the other shape?

I got so many questions. I am a beginner and got a hang on basic concepts. 

• Re: How can I draw this?
          Jose Araujo

This is a simple part, but:

You are Mechanical Designer?

You know how to use SolidWorks?

Jody Byram

As Jose implys, these are basic questions that any mechanical designer should know already...

1) any plane will do to start with, I'd use top plane out of habit.  several other planes may need to be created as you go.

2&3 ) dashed lines are hidden lines, showing the edge of inner diameters in this case.

4) fillets are created tangent to two faces, so revolution axis is not needed

5) Double dashed lines indicate a threaded inner diameter

6) You can make a revolved base/boss, or an extruded base/boss, but not both at once.  A "revolved extrude" kind of like saying a "straight circle" .. it cannot exist. The only part that might need a revolve is the tapered section inside the right cylinder, but I did it with a 10 x 15 chamfer..

7) I don't see a 10 dia pipe anywhere...the 10 wide webs are tangent to the cylinders on each side.

Make a layout sketch like the one below, then convert the needed entities from it to each new sketch as you build the part from bottom up.

fitting.GIFfitting 2.GIF

Kelef Man

hei'ya Jsadjs,

welcome to the forums,

here's my take on the inf supplied

it's only a sample/representation

as there are missing dimensions

pairedValve1620.jpg

see att. prt file and use the roll back bar to see how I arrived at the model

I think you should work thru the SW help file tutorials and maybe

read up on engineering drawing and standards to get a good understanding

of the types of representations used

ie: centre lines, construction lines, tapped holes,etc

I used revolved features,

but you can also use extruded bodies and extruded cuts

and other features- what ever feels best for you

hope this helps getting you started - have a good'n kelef

David Sloop

This is simple high school (or even earlier) drafting and blueprint reading.

If you don't know this, you need to go back to school, or at least get some text books and do some reading before even trying to learn Solidworks.

Spend some time reading some drafting books, and doing the lessons.

You need that basic knowledge before trying to create models and drawings that you expect someone to make.

Coming here asking basic questions and expecting us to hold your hand and spell everything out for you is not going to help you in the long run.

Many of us have many years experience, and at least some basic schooling to get the knowledge we have.

Not trying to offend you. Just laying out the truth.

• This reply has been hidden. This can happen if the message has been hidden by a moderator, or has been reported as abusive.
                      Jose Araujo

I'm sorry but David spoke wrongly. This piece is too complex for beginner.

What we want is that you have more knowledge before making pieces that complexity.

Get nervous, thus responding is not correct.

David Sloop

I'm not trying to be superior...

I'm just saying that if you don't know that those "dashed" lines represent hidden features, you do NOT "have a hang on basic concepts"

If you are currently going to school for drafting / CAD, then you should talk to your instructor.

If you are working somewhere in a beginner position, then you deinitely need to pick up some books and do some reading, and work thru the tutorials in Solidworks.

I stand by my statement.

As I said, I'm not trying to offend you, but just offer you frank advice.

Paul Salvador

...geez... Big Group Hug!...

big-group-hub-zxys.png

Frank Schiavone

I agree with you 100% David.  I see a ton of this on the PTC forums:  Help, do my job for me!

Ahhhh, no.  If I see someone that looks like they are capable, have done most of the leg work, and are simply asking for help to learn, then yes, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.  And if he's trying to make a model without understanding the print, he's over his head and needs to learn that first.

I'll go further, I learned it the hard way, with over 30 years in the field starting with AutoCAD in '86, and 19 years on Pro/E.  I got some help along the way, but mostly I was determined to learn it myself, and I think I'm more skilled because of it.  Today, it seems people just flock to the i-net, don't contribute anything, don't want to actually learn anything, but simply want someone else to figure out for them quickly.  In other words, they'd rather google it, than learn it.  Kids these days..... 

Deepak Gupta

Frank Schiavone wrote:

Today, it seems people just flock to the i-net, don't contribute anything, don't want to actually learn anything, but simply want someone else to figure out for them quickly.  In other words, they'd rather google it, than learn it.  Kids these days..... 

Agree

Dennis Bacon

Thanks for making me chuckle...

Kelef Man

hei'ya Deepak Gupta, Jsadjs Dhasdhasdh, Jose Araujo, Jody Byram,

David Sloop, Paul Salvador, Frank Schiavone, Dennis Bacon

and all other persisters, perusers and surf-stumblers of this thread

this is only an observation

(with the utmost respect to all, awe of gurus and really big grin  of mischief)

(tongue in cheek- now please)

this will probably be moderated out- awh

short(est) version

ah,,, but grasshopper it takes a village to raise a child

(those wishing to go trolling may now exit stage left)

short(er) version

(deep breath- don't read any further unless you have any sense of humour)

(well, a similar sense of humour at least)

or even humor- depending on your geographical idiosyncrasies

ah,,, but grasshopper it takes a global village to raise a child,

and adults, bosses, tax inspectors and bl00d¥ barmen,

and slow walkers, loud mobile users,

and that kid that won't pack my groceries carefully enough,

and and  and and and and and and and and and......

(those of nervous disposition with doctors notes,

or concerned relatives may also now leave)

(really, really not) short version

(at this stage, I'm sure I've lost the attention of half of the perusers-

due to ACDC, bladder pressure, multi-thread tasking, ipad/ifone/

handy/mobile ringing, not caring what ASCII 097,104 is)

the first spam email (selling computers I think),

that led to the RFC proposal of banning such posters from the net, forever!

ha, what ever happened to that one

not to get too philosophical (the musing type, that is,

not Plato, Aristotle or Archimedes [he invented the screw you know,

good auld Archimedes] )

(google colloquial english "screw" to see why that makes me so happy)

as a modern(ish) academic, forever playing catch-up,

for those of us born before the space age, or remote controls, or cars smarter than us,

of course it's frustrating watching two finger KBW's (keyboard warriors),

that never bothered to learn touch typing, audio transcription or pong,

and never lost at asteroids or space invaders by 5 points,

but still send emails and posts, and pictures of kittens (CHR$ 097,104)

and posts without enough or confusing information to answer their

question succinctly and to their requirements

and yes, working for a boss or manager that you know isn't safe to be

let out on their own, and are only allowed models and files with "read only" attributes

maybe we should introduce a colour coding for questions-

(like those causing this type of furore)

this would be through awesome/un-awesome, thumbs-up/thumbs-down, or +/- voting

(no multi voting of course)

so that the post appears on the forum's home page as -

eg:

red- really not worth reading - loads of un-awesome, thumbs-down, or minus voting

orange- is t(r)ending to be really un-awesome, thumbs-down, or minus voting

yellow- neutral (any other colour will do- as long as we get a referendum)

green- answered and/or awesome, thumbs-up, or plus voting

blue- really good interesting topic- loads awesome, thumbs-up, or plus voting

(or possibly flashing blue/green- or do I mean blinking? (CHR$ 104,109,109) don't know)

possibly maybe? (CHR$ 110,097,104) really

secondly, the moderators could have a professional cut-off point

ie: if they allow it - you don't negative it- hmm they have that now I thought?

(hmm question- who will decide their "professional cut-off point")

(hmm question- who will decide "you're negative/ity")

(hmmm - who will.... nah just musing)

but then again, I believe in "less is more" (honestly)

ie: if it's not to my taste I ignore it, haste le vista(or xp) babe

basically not to troll, denigrate or give the colic attention-

if they post non-sensicals and get no reaction they will wither of their own accord

a lot more than getting interaction- what ever type it is-

in "an eye for an eye" philosophy- everybody ends up blind

in flame wars- everybody ends up burnt

on t'other hand-

sadly I will always (well-l-l mostly) give the benefit of doubt once(ish),

it might be the spark, or the first step that everybody makes somewhere,

somehow and sometime- to move to the next step upwards and onwards

now then at this point, I've just remembered why I came to the forum today,

this is to all the moderators, gurus, contributors and general foot traffic

if you've read thus far, this is for YOU, (and I'm astounded at your tenacity)

Merry Christmas

mxmas_e0.gif

and a Happy New Year

happy-new-year.gif

Apology:-

these are not my gifs- I just googled them and

are only copied and pasted- not mine

I didn't do any art work, compiling or editing on them

I don't know how they are coded, or contribute in any way

thank you to the guys who did do - thnx

aside:

Paul Salvador BRILLIANT - can we have it as an emoji

(sorry but I will only be copying and pasting it)

and yes the points on my profile have the decimal wrong- by a factor of 10

and I think this thread has become an informal chat room,

so probably breaking some rules then hey

so that's all for now, I've got to go-

thanks to the forums admin, moderators, support and everybody involved (hail gurus),

so, whiskey bottle is empty, bladder pressure really high,

and I've got to go and find my grand-daughter to post this to the forum for me (hic)

have a good'n kelef