5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2017 5:33 PM by Christian Henningsen

why does epdm offer a transition when conditions not met? (see SPR 528753)

Barry Cavanaugh

Hello,

perhaps this is an epdm bug...

For a given excel file, I wan to control which users are permitted to perform a transition based on what folder the file resides it. I have several transitions set up that have the same source and target states but each transition has a condition that determines whether or not that particular transition will be triggered based on what folder the file resides it.

Yet, the actual behavior of ePDM is that it is offering the user ALL of the transition options when they right-click on the excel file, even if the conditions are not met. For those transitions, if the user does select the transition, the user is then told "the conditions are not met"....why is ePDM offering these transitions to the user if it knows that the conditions are not met?

ePDM does properly handle the transition where the conditions are met

I looked in the knowledge base and there is some mention of a  problem like this...

has anyone else seen this behavior? I think I might have a workaround but it would require more work...

from the knowledge base:

SPR #:

Product:

SolidWorks PDM

Open

Fixed in:

none none

Area:

Enterprise PDM

Sub-Area:

SWPDM - Workflows

Customer Impact:

High

Enhancement:

Yes

Summary:

RMB >> Change State options are displayed even when the transition conditions are not met when the actual transition is carried out

Technical  
         Comments:

DS SolidWorks does not guarantee that this SPR fix will be available in the indicated future release of the
      product since at this time the SPR fix has not completed QA procedures that incorporate all SPR fixes and
      enhancements into a new version of our product.

• Re: why does epdm offer a transition when conditions not met? (see SPR 528753)
          Prasad Bhonsule

Hi Barry, if I may ask a silly question, why don't you name the transitions all the same? That way the user only sees one option, when in reality there are several, and the conditions that you have set up, take care of which transition path the file takes.

To give you a very simple example that I implemented for a customer.

1. Customer wanted to release 2D SolidWorks drawings, and 3D CAD models (parts and assemblies) down different release paths.

2. I created two transitions, both named "Release"

3. I then setup conditions in each transition based on the file type, something like: "filepath = %.slddrw"

4. Then when the user selects a bunch of files to release, they only see one option.

I agree that this again is a workaround and doesn't fix the problem indicated in your SPR, but I would guess that when workflows and conditions were implemented, Solidworks thought that having permissions or not to a particular transition would be enough to affect the entries in the RMB menu.

Also, what was the workaround you mentioned in your post, I'm curious

Kind regards,

Prasad

• Re: why does epdm offer a transition when conditions not met? (see SPR 528753)
              Barry Cavanaugh

Hello Prasad,

thank you for your response. Your suggestion is something I am aware of and appreciate you confirming this for me.

In my particular case, it is the desire of my company to configure epdm such that permissions are "program specific"....in other words, each program is likely to have a different set of desired approvers.

To accomplish this, I create a transition for each program and set the "conditions" for each transition so that only files residing in a specific folder will be eligible for the specific transition. For that transition, I then give "permit" rights to only those employees who are authorized to approve for that specific program.

Giving all transitions the same name is fine and will be good for the users, but for the person who is continuing to create new transitions for each new program (or making changes to an existing transition such as adding another eligible user as an approver) it will become very difficult to keep the workflow from getting very cluttered and confusing to understand and edit.

It was my hope that I could give each transition a unique name so that the person editing the workflow would have an ability to identify which transition mapped to which program. furthermore, I assumed that epdm would not offer to the user a transition option (via right click) that is "not meeting the right conditions".

thanks again for your comments

Barry

Andrew Wright

The answer to this question for me was that the file had been "Released" via EPDM.

As the system is set up at my current contract location, once "Released", you must "Change State --> Rework to Engineering" any part or assembly file has to needs updating, no matter how minor.  "Change State --> Minor Change, No Rev" is reserved for small drawing (text, balloon, notes, etc) changes.

And yes, "Rework to Engineering" is followed by "Submit for Review", after the changes are made.  Then "Release" again, changing the Rev, even if it was not an actual part or assembly [physical] change.  For instance, if you need to update something in the custom properties so it shows up correctly in a titleblock or BOM.

I believe these "states" and other release conditions can be customized by individual EPDM customers, but out of the box, I think it is indeed this complicated and cumbersome.

Jim Sculley

The visibility of a transition is solely controlled by the 'Permit' permission of the transition.  The list of files to be processed isn't determined until the transition process has started, so SOLIDWORKS doesn't know in advance if the conditions of the transition are met.