5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 2:55 AM by Mark Greenwell

Revisied drawing to a non revised part

Mark Greenwell

Hi,

if my model is revised then I also revise the drawing to suit usually rev 01, 02 etc.

So both the part and the drawing would have _01 showing them at rev 01.

However what do  I do if only the drawing needs to be revised, say to show an edit on some notes.

I would then just save the drawing at rev 01

The part would be rev 0, the drawing rev 01.

However the part would still be linked to the original drawing at rev 0.

How do you get a revised drawing to link to the non revised part.

Thanks

Mark

• Re: Revisied drawing to a non revised part
          Mike Helsinger

Well the decision to bump the rev on a part file in conjunction with vs. independent of the drawing is a decision for your organization.  There could be reasons to do either way.  SolidWorks can accommodate either approach.  The particulars will vary depending on if you use a PDM system and which one.  My company does not use a PDM.  In my situation the revision process goes as you might expect with basic tools.

• Part rev follows drawing rev - using Save As.. or Pack & Go in SW Explorer, move your old vision files & create your new revision files.  Be mindful to check your references of your old & new files after the moves are complete.
          • Drawing rev may differ from part rev - Your part file may be referenced by any number of drawing, assembly or other part files.  using Save As.. or Pack & Go in SW Explorer, create your new drawing.  Be mindful to handle archiving your old drawing file properly, as required by your organization.

Managing references can be a surprisingly tricky thing to get right in some situations.  It's also a critically important skill to handle properly.  Tell us more about your situation and hopefully someone here can guide you farther.

Mark Greenwell

Hi Mike,

This is the issue, I have a part file with an associated drawing.

The part file doesn't change however the associated drawing needs an additional note added to it, therefore the drawing will go to Rev 01 while the part stops at 0.

What I do is open up the part then use the 'make drawing from part' function to open up the associated drawing, however the drawing that opens up is still at Rev 0.

What I want to do, is when I now open up the part file and use the 'make drawing' function the correct revision opens up.

I thought I could open up the revised drawing go save as and the select both the part and drawing in the advanced options save them to my desktop then copy and paste into my parts folder, overwriting the original part. When I do this the drawing that opens up from the part is still the Rev 0.

I must be doing something wrong, but can't figure out what.

Thanks

Mark

Mark Greenwell

Hi Mike,

Sort of figured out an easy option for me.

All I did was copy the original drawing created a second sheet by pasting, renamed the 2nd drawing as Rev 01

Then I did the revisions on the second sheet and saved.

So now when I open up the part model and open drawing from model the drawing has the 2 drawings attached 0 & 01.

Didn't think of this for a while as always use 1 part / 1 drawing.

I will still give you the correct answer for your other suggestions.

Thanks

Mark

Mike Helsinger

Hello Mark,

I have a couple thoughts I'll share farther with you.  It sounds like you are working in a small group or perhaps on an independent project perhaps, whatever the case if you have a strategy that works for you, great!  So you are managing your CAD files without a PDM system, that's fine as well.  My company does the same.  I will recommend you get familiar with SolidWorks Explorer as a tool for managing your files in your own computer / network.  Cut & Paste in the standard way will move things around but it doesn't manage your references with the control that SW Explorer provides.  If you start seeing problems in your drawing across your different revisions, you may be able to solve things more easily than starting over in many cases.  You may find yourself thinking there's got to be a better way for this fancy computer software can just do what I want it to.  If that happens to you, I'll bet you're right & SW Ex may be the answer.  Find some tutorials on the subject.

I will also caution that the approach you are taking is uncommon.  If you need to take your drawing work outside of your own group say for example an outsource machining or processing of some kind, other folks may get confused or concerned about multiple Revs managed over multiple sheets of the same drawing.  It could lead to some push back & delay.  If it's working for you I can't tell you that you're doing it wrong, proceed however you are comfortable.  If you would like more guidance on revision management under your system I can help more when I get some time.  Good luck!

Mark Greenwell

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info.

You are right don't use PDM and only have 2 licences of SolidWorks. The majority of our draughting work is done with Tekla X-Steel, we use SolidWorks occasionally when Tekla cant give use a part drawing, (it's not very good at creating flat patterns). As I manage a different department we just keep drawing we make with SolidWorks on our own computer hard drive. We also don't send out 3D models to any sub contractor we save a drawing file as  a PDF file which they use.

So at the moment adding a new sheet with the revision will work for me.

Thanks

Mark