AnsweredAssumed Answered

At which end does this occur

Question asked by Philip Lane on Nov 24, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2015 by Charley Saint

I was going to initiate a wider conversation on the SW2015 file type, but have been advised against it on legal grounds....so,

1. What it is that is happening to our data (and it is obvious to me what it is, but specific information is scarce), that makes the files smaller in 2015. I am genuinely concerned, and am deliberately not using a certain word to describe what I believe is being done to our data at every read/save.

2. Is the process/routine happening on the EPDM server or at the client end? This has future infrastructure decision-making considerations.

3. What was the reasoning in introducing this activity/file-type at a time when storage is cheaper and faster and organizations have Gb or even fibre networks. We end up with performance hit either side of a load/save action. I can draw my own conclusions on the 'long-term' strategy.

I would like a more specific, in-depth discussion on the 2015 file type so anyone from Solidworks is invited to contact me directly....We do have mutual non-disclosure agreements in place after all.

All I am after is a more in-depth understanding of what is happening to our data....end of.

Thank you in advance.

Phil Lane.

Outcomes