AnsweredAssumed Answered

A simple animation riff

Question asked by Gerald Davis on Nov 23, 2015

Solidworks composer ships with a useful samples folder - q.v. <install dir>\ Samples\3d tools\. Along with screwdriver, wrench, and pencil, that folder includes a hand_left.smg.

That sinistral smg file has kinematic links to position the fingers. A nice study in child-parent, gizmo, and pivot setup.

To make this poser model more useful for those in a hurry, several views are set up with the fingers posed.

As a self-tutorial, I used drag-and-drop to sprinkle their (3ds.com) views along the time line. I then added my camera views and saved the attached avi.

What I learned:

1. Kinematic links are pretty spiffy for some stuff. This animation would be challenging to do in SW15 in less than 10 minutes. I think it was less than 5 in Composer and -  I don't think I would be called an expert with Composer.
  2. Composer avi generation is very fast (compared to SW15) even with a Microsoft codec. The avi compared to smg playback is relatively good given the codec.
  3. Drag-and-drop of views onto the time line in order to make an animation is great for instant gratification. Very soothing for those just starting out.

Outcomes