1 Reply Latest reply on Nov 23, 2015 7:50 AM by Jody Byram

Can I simulate human flesh as a material? (Ergonomics)

Glamorgan Culio

Hello,

I'm designing a custom ergonomic wood chair. I would like to simulate the pressure distribution of the human body into the chair. Is this something that I could simulate with SolidWorks Simulation? If not, do you have any idea of how to simulate the presure?

Thanks!

• Re: Can I simulate human flesh as a material? (Ergonomics)
          Jody Byram

The details and fidelity of the simulation would depend on the questions you are trying to answer.

"are the chair legs strong enough to support a large person?"  could use a very simple model

"is the seat pan going to bend excessively?"  might need a more detailed weight distribution

" Will the pressure on a persons buttocks exceed xx PSI ?"  might need a detailed generic model of bones and muscles and fat, and calibration studies of force vs. deflection to adjust material properties. (or research to find a database of that info).  I'm pretty sure the human butt is not a linear elastic system, but approximating it as elastic might be close enough for your purposes.  May be a hard cylinder inside a softer cylinder might be sufficient.