AnsweredAssumed Answered

How do I insert additional bodies into part made from the parent of those other bodies?

Question asked by Chris Shields on Nov 19, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 11, 2015 by Chris Shields

Hello,

I'm Chris. New to the forum, but not new to Solidworks. I wouldn't say that I'm an expert, but I feel that I'm a solid intermediate user. I've searched for the answer quite a bit online and in person, but haven't found an answer. Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but here's where I'm stuck:

So, I made a car (in this case, I made a real quick, simple car to help clearly illustrate my point as I can't share my original files) in a multi-part file. Not much; a body, 4 wheels and a bumper. I right-clicked on the desired parts (the wheels) and opted to insert them into a new part. In this new part, I created a truck. I can see that the files are linked. Change the wheel sizes on my car and they change on the truck. Which is exactly what I want. But now, I want to use the same bumper from the car. How do I add this to my truck file?

I can insert it into a new part, but can't seem to find out how to put it into my truck file.

Here is a screen capture of my car file showing the multiple solid bodies:

hatchBack.PNG

Here's my truck, using the wheels from the car:

pickUpTruck.PNG

And the solid bodies from the car are shown to be there:

truckLinks.PNG

How would I go about adding the red bumper from the car to my truck's file?

Thank you in advance for your help, and my apologies if I wasn't using the proper terms (and please let me know what they are) to clearly search for the answers I was looking for.

Chris

Outcomes