3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2015 1:38 PM by Glenn Schroeder

ASSEMBLIES // manually override quantities?

N. Ritchey

for those of you keeping score at home, i am in the process of revamping part, assembly and drawing standards and templates here at my small design company. part of this involves inspiration i've gained working contract at larger-scale companies.

my current company (global manufacturer using siemens solid edge and teamcenter) uses the concept of a "non-graphical part". any fluid part that is difficult to model (i.e. tape around the perimeter of a part) is represented in the BOM in quantity only. they do this by creating a new part, adding all the relevant properties (part no., etc.), and saving the file without creating any features.

when the part is loaded into the assembly it's simple fixed to whatever position it gets loaded into. then, in solid edge, you can open a properties dialog box and override the quantity. this new quantity is what appears in the BOM.

so for instance in the BOM it will say "TAPE-ADHESIVE TRANSFER /// QTY 91.17 FT" because you entered that 91.17 in the assembly file's properties.

is there a way to do this in solidworks? at its most basic i would be able to add ONE part file to an assembly, but override the quantity value that's carried over into additional documents (whether they be higher-up-assemblies or drawings)

N

• Re: ASSEMBLIES // manually override quantities?
          N. Ritchey

BONUS FOLLOW UP

the flip side of the "non graphical part" is that sometimes you want to add graphics which DON'T count towards the bill of materials. in solid edge this is accomplished within the part's properties. you tell it "be visible in the drawings, but don't count towards the BOM" (i'm paraphrasing here).

i'm pretty certain you can manually hack&slash at the BOM on the drawing file, but i'm wondering if there is a more automated way to do it. i'd rather check some boxes in the part/assembly document properties and then have the BOM interpret everything automatically.

David Foster

Ritchey;

It looks like you can give your tape part a custom property, and from file > properties > "Custom" or "Config Specific" tab, you can link the BOM quantity on the right to any property. It looks like you can only link it to numbers though, but this thread has some interesting work-arounds if needed.

As for excluding parts from a BOM, that's pretty straightforward. When you select or highlight the part in your assembly, there should be a pop-up menu with "Component Properties" in there somewhere (if not, try right-clicking the part and looking for it). From that window, down at the bottom you can adjust whether the part is included in BOM for a given configuration. The envelope option accomplishes more or less the same thing, but adjusts the appearance to make it clear the part is for visualization only.

Hopefully this helps, let me know if screenshots are needed.

Glenn Schroeder

N. Ritchey wrote:

the flip side of the "non graphical part" is that sometimes you want to add graphics which DON'T count towards the bill of materials. in solid edge this is accomplished within the part's properties. you tell it "be visible in the drawings, but don't count towards the BOM" (i'm paraphrasing here).

In the assembly, right-click on the component and choose the "Component Properties..." icon.  When the dialog box shows up check the box circled below.  That will hide the component from the BOM.