3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2015 3:16 PM by N. Ritchey

CUSTOM PROPERTIES // carry over into windows?

N. Ritchey

i am in the process of setting up / revising the PDM, drawing & part template, and general archiving system at the small (three employees) design firm i work with.

part of this includes: creating unique part numbers (new for us), saving documents and files under their P/N, and adding custom properties to each template which carry over throughout the life of the document.

for the custom properties they are fairly basic, they include "PartNo", "ProductionRevision" (custom for use in drawings), "Author", etc. etc. one of the properties we need is the "Title" or "Part Description".

when i first set up the templates, i went with the custom property of "Title". this worked well until i realized that, when viewing the files in windows, the part numbers are clearly visible but the "Title" is hidden. you can add a column in windows detail view to display a column for "Title" but it does not correspond to the SolidWorks property "Title".

i thought i could fix this by switching this property from "Title" to "Description", and i did that, but it didn't work the way i had hoped.

BASICALLY i am looking for a custom property where i can enter a text string to define the part description. i want this property to also be visible in windows file explorer so that you can browse by part name, even though the file names are part numbers.

i would also like to be able to browse and search the PDM (as well as local files ideally) by part description. if we have a part titled "CHASSIS-DRAWER ASSEMBLY", i'd like to be able to search "chassis" and get results for any part with "chassis" in the title.

we have SW2014, non-enterprise PDM, and SolidWorks Explorer.

****as is my habit, i tend to write a long post asking a question and think about and try to figure out my question before i hit "send". so here now is the result of that internalizing:

SolidWorks Explorer (along with the embedded PDM client within the SW application) can be used to search for the documents by this property. it's just not as convenient as being able to browse them in windows, which is what i'd prefer. i still need to learn the ins-and-outs of SW explorer (SWEx) but i think it can be set up to do what we want. it is important to remember (it's important for ME to remember) that i am working with these temporary files locally; once we are active i will be working out of the PDM, and will not be relying on windows explorer to view or browse files...

• Re: CUSTOM PROPERTIES // carry over into windows?
          N. Ritchey

some interesting behavior --- i started switching the part description from "Title" to "Description".

i noticed that, from within solidworks, if you OPEN a file (control-O, you know), from within that dialog box you CAN see the part descriptions! however, from windows explorer, you CAN'T see the descriptions! crazy, huh?

see the attached photo. consider this post "for information". this is "odd behavior" that i noticed and at the end of the day it isn't going to make or break our filing system, but i'd prefer it if i knew why this was happening and whether or not i could resolve it.

descriptions_001.jpg

IMG: LEFT: windows explorer RIGHT: "Open..." dialog box within SolidWorks

RED: both windows are directed to the same path, both include the "Description" column

GREEN: descriptions visible in SW dialog box, descriptions not visible in standard windows file explorer.

NOTE: i've only converted the descriptions for the first 5-6 files which is they only the first 5-6 documents have descriptions.

Zac Evans

Interesting find, I myself have not cared about the description field in windows explorer, but I use the description custom property in my Solidworks templates. So I did some digging and found that I have two fields in windows explorer for the "Description" property, I added both and found that one made left all the columns blank, but the other one worked.

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Do you have this same behavior? if so have you tried the other one?

N. Ritchey

yup that's what was happening. something odd --- when i didn't have a "description" column there was only one "description" available (referring to the "Choose Details" dialog from your first image). it wasn't until AFTER i added that column, then re-opened that box that i realized that there was one "description" column at the top of the list (one i'd activated) and a second one with the rest of the Ds (the correct one).

activating the new one and disabling the old one gave me the result i was after.