10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2015 2:22 PM by Alin Vargatu

Stop Dynamic Resize

David Hale

I am transitioning from other design software and am struggling with differences in this software's behavior from what I have grown accustomed to.

In sketch mode, I have enabled the setting "Enable on-screen numeric input on entity creation" which (finally) allows me to rapidly dimension known variables without the pain of trying to carefully maintain cursor position while I enter values.

Once I have my shape, lets say a rectangle, dimensioned from this input, any number of other relations can completely nullify the fact that I have entered a specific value. I make a rectangle, 20x40 mm. If I then tell one edge of the rectangle to be collinear with another feature, It will re-size my rectangle moving only that line, and now my rectangle is no-longer 20x40mm.

This is rather frustrating.

I hope there is a setting to make a "dimensional input" act as a driving dimension, but I am unable to find the option to make this so, or the right search terms to discover it.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Dave

• Re: Stop Dynamic Resize
          Glenn Schroeder

David,

In addition to "Enable on screen numeric input on entity creation", you also need to have "Create dimension only when value is entered" checked.  That will place a driving dimension when you enter a value.

David Hale

Perfect. Thanks for this.

I did notice that box, but left it unchecked because I was unsure what it specifically did, and whether I would notice the change. Thank you for clarifying that for me and for the response.

I'm aware of the potential of the program, and that its going to take some time for me to get it customized to suit my personal workflow. I have done some work since this response and things started moving along more efficiently for my needs, so thanks again, this is the fix I was looking for.

Cheers,

Dave

Richard Bremmer

See the screenshot from Glenn Schroeder, do you have the option "Override dimensions on drag/move" enabled?

David Hale

I don't, I have mostly default settings since its a new installation on a personal machine. The issue I was looking to figure out was resolved through Mr. Schroeder's post, but this is another setting certainly worth being aware of.

Much thanks for the reply.

-Dave

Greg Hynd

which (finally) allows me to rapidly dimension known variables without the pain of trying to carefully maintain cursor position while I enter values.

What do you mean by this? Draw your lines, exist the sketch tool and dimension.

Eric Blankinship

Greg,

What I think he is wanting to do is be able to define the size of the feature during creation and not have to go back in and add dimensions after the fact.  So using line tool and typing in a length of 20mm and having it create and stay that way rather than create a length of unknown value and then activating dimension tool and giving it the length of 20mm.

Glenn Schroeder

Eric,

I think you're right.  I assumed the OP had "Enable on screen numeric input on entity creation" checked, which would let him enter a value to set the length of a line (or diameter of a circle, etc.), but he didn't have "Create dimension only when value is entered" checked, which will show the dimension entered by the user, and make it driving.

David Hale

Exactly. I was telling it what I wanted it to be, but it would dynamically resize instead of being a driving dimension.

I don't see the need to do this, but more options are better than less, and I'm certain plenty of people have a reason to want it.

This ordeal has enlightened me to the manner in which SolidWorks facilitates dimensionally driven design, and I re-started my design project making critical relations driving and in the process of inevitable changes was able to rapidly change core geometry and have the bulk of my extrusions and relations auto-correct. Was very pleased about that.

Thanks again to all respondents.
                              Late nights in new software can be infuriating, but this turned out to be an easy fix.

Much thanks,

Dave