6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2015 1:24 AM by Iftach Priel

Create a saved search for each user - checked-out?

Robert Pickeral

Is there a way I (as admin) can create a a single saved search accessible to all users that will display all the files they have checked-out? Like using a variable "%user%" or something? Thank you!

Robert

• Re: Create a saved search for each user - checked-out?
          Adrian Velazquez

Hi Robert, unfortunately the Search Cards don't allow for that. You would need to create a Search Favorite for each of your users

Iftach Priel

Hi Robert,

Actually there may be a way to do it. I can walk you through, but first try to elaborate a little so I understand better what you need. 

Keep in mind that searches are based on variables or file attributes, so you have to have something that distinguishes between files that should be checked out by each group (or user). You may already have something to work with, like the state the file is in, or the path. If you don't, you'll have to set something up - let a dedicated variable update through transitions, dispatch, or any other method.  

Also you may want to consider working with groups and not users. Generally in EPDM groups are easier to maintain, even if they have only one member.

Robert Pickeral

Sorry for the delayed reply. I've setup groups and users. I understand that principle. I'm just trying to address the need for any and all users to have a quick and easy way to run a search/report, etc. that will display items checked-out for that user. No matter how many times I tell them they must check their files in, they forget or just think it's PFM (Pre Magic) that it happens.

I did notice that I can create a search from my PC and have it be accessable for each individual user. Then I can just show them their custom search in the search utility. Basically I have to create it for them. But I guess that's what we admins do - if the software can't do it programatically.

Iftach Priel

OK, sorry Robert, I misunderstood your initial question.

You're looking for a way to make sure your users don't forget to check-in files. I'm sure all admins out there deal with this annoying problem, and I don't have any magic solutions. However, I can share here what I do:

We have a tab called "search by user" in the main search card. It basically looks like this:

The properties for the left droplist are:

Special value - editors

Variable name - checked out by user

(Wish there was a way to have the logged in user name selected by default....)

Users can select their name from the list and run a search for all their checked-out files.

Every month or so, I email all users with some "tips and tricks", updates, and so on. In these emails I always remind them to use this search tab regularly and make sure they didn't forget something checked out.

I run some searches myself from time to time, to make sure no one has a build up of too many old checked out files. It is especially important before upgrades, hardware changes and long vacations.

Obviously you could have a favorite search for each user and do the same. Truth is, we hardly use favorite searches anymore. We used to do it this way in the past, but found them hard to maintain, and not appealing enough for users. The advantage of favorites is that you can have a shortcut file on the user's desktop. Still, the problem remains - you have to make your users click it.

Hope this helps...

Adrian Velazquez

The limitation is of the Card Editor (creator), not the Search itself...