14 Replies Latest reply on Nov 27, 2015 11:53 AM by H. Zeng

Part with curve path and different cross sections on both ends while keeping the cross-sectional area constant.

H. Zeng

Hello everyone,

I am newbie trying to generate a part with a curve central line (path) but different shapes of the cross sections at both ends. I figure out that if I can assign proper guidelines then I can do a sweep to get this done. But the guidelines are not easy to draw, too.

So I post my question here. I wish somebody can show me how to do this step by step. Thanks very much in advance!

Description of the desired part:

• The central line is a curve. It could be a spline.
      • The cross sections have a similar lenticular shape (two identical arcs combined together). And two typical shapes are given by the chord length a and the rise length h.
      • The path can be treated as three sections:
        • the first third of the part has a constant cross-sectional shape with a=0.8 and h=0.07
        • the middle section of the part has a gradual cross-section
        • the last third of the part has a constant cross-sectional shape with a=0.4 and h=0.13
      • The cross-sectional area need to be kept constant as possible.

I am really new to Solidworks. So step by step instruction is truly important for me to follow. But even some hints are helpful to me so I can try them one by one.

Best regards,

Haoxian