1 2 3 First Previous 105 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2017 10:08 PM by Neville Williams

Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014

James Pare

I am trying to put a list together for items that still need to be addressed in edrawings

2015 was a dramatic let down, It was so bad that we pulled back fro upgrading our SWX

We use edrawings ALOT & need to it perform, I can't let this happen again for 2016

So my plan is together a list & push really really really hard to get this addressed ASAP!

Please add on or chime in on any issue:

Here's mine:

- Performance, performance, performance - 2015 was no where close to 2014, with 2016 I am seeing some better results but I think it can still be better

Mark-ups:

- In 2014 I can select an item & change it to see through & maintain my mark-ups, this function has been lost

- In 2014 the mark-ups is a side bar where 2016 its a pop-up where the mark ups can be block or not  visible because of the pop-up window

This should be for all the tabs that can open - they should fit to the entire window (top) & shrink the graphics area to work properly

- I have seen occurrences where the mark-ups are not sorted in the correct order as done in 2016

-When creating mark-ups there is no option for text control when working in the text box

Wish list: If I could re-order my mark-ups that would be huge!

Spell check would be nice too

Tabs / Configurations:

In 2014 the tabs & configurations were front & centre now in 2016 they are hidden in a pop-up window

I have also see configurations not in the proper order in 2016

Wish list: The image preview for the configuration should not show the colour background from SWX

Undo function is great in 2016!!!!!

Bug: Can't undo a show all action

Undo is buried in the file menu, maybe a button

Functions lost:

I can't hide annotations (sketched in 2016)

The view normal too is now hidden in the section view command

Interface still seems buggy, I have issues when I minimize & try to re-open

Doesn't handle multi screens very well

Other bugs: If I use annotations they do not always show when selecting a 3D view (MBD) add on

I am also concerned that I only get the 3D view option for edrawings if I have a seat of MBD?

HLR edges once again are disappearing after you hide & show a part

Split window functionality aka tile windows

Click on tab & have a file open or "+" button to open a new tab

Everyone please add on & don't be afraid to voice issues!

• 1. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
          Ethan Kinney

Here's another thing for the list:

We have a lot of older drawings that have embedded excel documents for the rev blocks (yes i know this is bad). These ole objects will not show in edrawings properly (usually it is a blank square where it should be). This needs to be fixed so people can see these documents.

• 2. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
            James Pare

Ethan

I agree, We have also had issues with OLE objects & try to avoid using them

I wish edrawings could have more title block functionality included

If you could add Excel tab that would be amazing

This won't happen any time soon with MBD being pushed

MBD is a good product too, but is still lacking in many areas such as high end custom title blocks

• 3. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
              Rob Kuehl

2014 vs 2015 and 2016

1. Measure dialog filters do not function as any user would anticipate.

- Click measure button

- Click the face filter button.

- Attempt to pick a face...

You won't be able to, because what you have actually done is turn off face selection and now you can only pick edges, vertices, or holes since all are on by default.  So to actually only pick faces, you have to click the other 3 off!

• 4. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                James Pare

Rob

Good point, the selection filters work opposite the way you think they should

I have actually looked foolish in a meeting recently stumbling thru this

Keep it going guys!

• 5. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                  Peter De Vlieger

Doesn't handle multi screens very well

You can say that again.

So they devised and optimised Solidworks for 3k and 4k screens colour blind users but the viewer program has issues with run of the mill dual screen set ups.

see also the thread I started and gives my first impressions of the 2016 version

edrawings 2016  SP0.1 issues

And can anyone explain to me the ergonomic benefit, or any other valid reason, of making a viewer that doesn't utilize the entire screen real-a-state but instead needs to stay several pixels shy on all sides ?

• 6. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                    James Pare

Peter

Thanks for the add-on & link to your forum

I know they are trying to get this right, but they have a lot of work to do?

My question is who's testing this stuff? Looks like us, but should be them!

• 7. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                      Rob Kuehl

Found another one...  Window selections are thrown out when accessing the right click menu's.

How to reproduce:

- use window select to highlight multiple components

- right click to bring up the "hide" command for example

- notice that your window selection is un-highlighted itself and the menu has changed to be the menu for nothing selected.

edrawings2016selection.png

This issue has apparently been introduced in 2016, and actually worked correctly in 2015 and 2014 (verified on 2015sp5.0).

Just figured out a work-around, hold control when doing the box selection and you'll keep your selections. 

• 8. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                        James Pare

So far I do not see anything fixed in SP1.0 EV, maybe next year?

• 9. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                          Alin Vargatu

I am very pleased with the large assembly performance in SW2016 SP1.0. I can rotate, zoom and pan really, really fast.

I am using these settings:

Do you get the same experience?

• 10. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                            James Pare

Alin

I agree the performance is better for large assemblies, but there still so many other issues

The latest bug that's been driving me crazy is trying to have (2) sessions open on dual screens & minimizing, then returning to the program. This is basic stuff that other software does without any issues

SP1 once again was a total let down for getting things fixed

• 11. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                              James Pare

I get this error a lot if I have 2 sessions open & try to look at a mark-up, wtf?

• 12. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                                Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

Alin

I agree the performance is better for large assemblies, but there still so many other issues

The latest bug that's been driving me crazy is trying to have (2) sessions open on dual screens & minimizing, then returning to the program. This is basic stuff that other software does without any issues

SP1 once again was a total let down for getting things fixed

Thanks James. I am pleased that at least the software is useful again for non-SW users who need to work with large assemblies.

Are you keeping up-to-date your other thread with the list of open issues?

• 13. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                                  James Pare

I am trying too, just so many issues to keep track of

I have submitted them to Javelin too!

• 14. Re: Edrawings 2016 vs. 2014
                                    Alin Vargatu

Rob Kuehl wrote:

Found another one...  Window selections are thrown out when accessing the right click menu's.

How to reproduce:

- use window select to highlight multiple components

- right click to bring up the "hide" command for example

- notice that your window selection is un-highlighted itself and the menu has changed to be the menu for nothing selected.

edrawings2016selection.png

This issue has apparently been introduced in 2016, and actually worked correctly in 2015 and 2014 (verified on 2015sp5.0).

Just figured out a work-around, hold control when doing the box selection and you'll keep your selections. 

The problem still exists in SP1.0. Thanks for the workaround, Rob!

1 2 3 First Previous