1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 1, 2015 4:33 PM by Amit Katz

Flow on a rotating impeller

Ali Karalomlu

The picture that I attached is showing a pump which I am trying to find the flow velocity near blade surfaces. I added a cylindirical area around impeller and applied rotating frame. For the first trial my BC's are

1) Inlet Flow Rate;

2) Outlet Environment Pressure;

3) Real Wall to Impeller;     

4) Real Wall as Stator to Water touching faces inside the pump.

As a second study I deleted the rotating frame and applied these boundaries;

1) Inlet Flow Rate;

2) Outlet Environment Pressure;

3) Real Wall as Wall Motion to Impeller's Water touching faces.

Which one do you think is the best and the most logical way to do that kind of study? 

• Re: Flow on a rotating impeller
          Amit Katz

Do not use a Real Wall condition on faces as an attempt to simulate motion, this will simply not work. The Real Wall velocity condition is meant to correctly boundary layer conditions for simulating a body in motion. For example, if you were simulating a car moving at velocity you may choose to model the ground and give it a Real Wall velocity condition matching the bulk average fluid flow, in order so that the model does not apply a non-slip boundary condition with zero velocity on the ground.

For your calculation stick with a local rotating region and make sure that it covers every part of the rotor geometry.