18 Replies Latest reply on Sep 8, 2017 12:19 PM by Sarah Dwight

Convert 3D Sketch to 2D Sketch???

Sarah Dwight

Is there any way to convert a 3D sketch into a 2D or regular sketch??

I have been having problems when I use coworkers' models and their hole wizard sketch is 3D when it clearly should have been a 2D sketch. All the holes are on the same face and I just want to edit the positions in that single plane, but for some reason the position sketch is 3D which complicates matters.

Is there any way to convert a 3D sketch into a 2D or regular sketch??

• Re: Convert 3D Sketch to 2D Sketch???
          Michael Senter

Deleting and recreating the sketch is the only way I'm aware of. What is the issue with the 3D sketch? You should be able to create an "On Plane" relation between the face and the points and work with this sketch the same way you would a 2D sketch.

Sarah Dwight

It is a matter of ease and future problem solving(there's a better phrase for that but it escapes me right now). Why have to make relations when they should already exist? And be the only option... on plane? No ONLY in this plane! Future problems when someone (probably me 2 weeks from now) doesn't realize it is a 3D sketch and just adds a point that looks okay, but is really out in space somewhere and then gets frustrated when things don't work.

I guess I would like to know under what circumstances a Hole Wizard sketch would become 3D, especially if there is only one plane involved. And why SW would not change a single plane 3D sketch to a 2D sketch. There are probably valid reasons it would not, but really I just want to know if I can change the sketch from 3D to 2D. Is that possible?

Thomas Morgan-Witts

You should be able to create a new sketch on the plane and use convert entities to drop them all into a 2d sketch. You'd have to redo the features to swap the link from the 3D sketch to the 2D sketch though.

Jaroslaw Guz

I can feel your pain dealing with 3d sketches in hole wizard. I don't know how to convert them to 2D but i dont like 3D sketches at all.

If you use 3D sketch you can pick all holes that size at once on different planes and later have them count by hole call out in drawing this is only one good thing about it. In my experience 2D sketch is better with ability to mirroring points, making them symmetrical, you can use pattern for them and you have whole control (not available in 3D). Because of that i preferred to create multi features with 2D sketch instead one with 3D sketch. This is my personal opinion but

1. i see as mistake to use 3D sketch in hole wizard,
                2. this indicate for me a lack of skills in solidworks using it
                3. having delete whole feature to change them sucks because it will affect mates in assembly in example sets screw in this hole goes out of context.

They should get us ability to fix it easy somehow not affecting assembly at least.

Krzysztof W.

Hi.

As far i know there is no way to change sketch from 3d to 2d in hole wizard but you can use a small workaround.

Create a 2d sketch just before hole wizard feature and then edit 3d sketch and add coincident relations between 3d and 2d points.

You will get a possibility to easy change dimensions in 2d sketch.

John Stoltzfus

In my designs I always have a sketch driving the Hole Wizard, which makes it very easy to change my designs.

I always use the 3D sketch and I wouldn't want it any other way when I'm in the Design Phase of a project, because there are times in the design process that the holes may change from one side to another and it is much easier editing the Hole Wizard sketch point and deleting the point relations and selecting the "New" face and the point and relate them on plane, and add a concentric relation to a sketch and your done, you don't need to delete the Hole Wizard feature and start over, just relate the point differently.

If another person would use the Hole Wizard here and use the 2D sketch option, I might freak out the same way Jim Sculley does when someone uses a sketch to drive the point...

What do your co-workers do with SOLIDWORKS that makes your blood boil?

John Stoltzfus

Attached is a videos showing the value of the 3D sketch...

The video is recorded using the free screen recorder www.flashbackexpress. com

Jaroslaw Guz

Thank you for respond to my comment. I guess everybody can have own opinion. John Stoltzfus unfortunately i dont want to use my email for registration to see your recorded guide about 3D skech. I wonder how you work around with all relations between holes. In my experience i have to make same changes during design process but i have choose to have more work when i make mistake in planing instead do more work initially. I realy like idea to use 3d all time but lack of symmetric, pattern relation is big no for it. 3D sketch gives you ability to align holes along axes only or you have to draw construction lines with relations yo get same effect. In this case try to work with 50 holes in one part when each line has relation to construction line on different plane. We all agree there is no one good way to make it we just make sometimes bad decisions. I use 3D sketch only when i need to make same hole on both ends of bar so than i can make them long same axis and it is short cut for me other cases it will be only more work.

Paul Risley

Sarah as far as I know there is no way to change this. Once the 3d sketch is created in the hole wizard function that is what you are stuck with. The main reason for the use of the 3d sketch is like you said multiple face holes on different planes. The other use is to shift face during concept. If I have the holes on plane a and then subsequently need to shift to plane b I can do so readily with a 3d sketch. If the 2 planes are parallel 2d sketch will work but if they are angular at all this function no longer is viable. I would assume that your co workers have their reason for doing it, your best bet is to discuss and try to create a "standard" of when and how to use 3d sketches in the hole wizard.

Capture.JPG

Also prior to changing holes you could always expand the feature, the 3d sketch icon is pretty easy to tell apart from the normal sketch icon. Which would give you a chance to not put a point in space since you would see it is a 3d sketch.

All of this aside I agree with you on the front of if you have a face and are putting holes only in that flat face a 2d sketch is the way to go.

Jaroslaw Guz

If i want to move hole in 2d sketch to another sketch i need to pick hole wizard 2D sketch in feature manager and use from menu Edit/Sketch plane and pick new plane. If you use plane on other side of model you may later edit whole wizard to change direction of cut but this is all i need to do (no need to delete hole).

Sarah Dwight

I agree. That is generally how I switch faces using the hole wizard.

My parts are generally symmetrical so when I have it on the wrong face it usually needs to move from the right end to the left end. That means the dims I set up are all still valid.

Rarely will I have to move a hole feature to a perpendicular face. At that point I would just create a new feature.